How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
**The applicant’s cover letter must address willingness to be flexible to take call on evenings/nights/weekends during active study periods **
Seeking a self-starter, detail-oriented licensed clinician to serve as a Research Coordinator who will assist with scientific and clinical tasks on federally-funded clinical trials for substance use prevention with adolescents and young adults.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
The Research Coordinator will contribute to a number of activities across clinical trial studies, which over time may include, but are not limited to:
- Providing Motivational Interviewing and CBT-based therapy for substance use in a brief intervention format via remote video or online via social media (with fidelity) and supervising other clinicians in these tasks
- Responding to crisis assessment calls, managing crisis assessments, and completing related documentation, as well as supervising other clinicians in these tasks
- Update and develop intervention manuals and study protocols, including participant tracking efforts
- Train and supervise staff in recruiting, delivering the intervention, and completing follow-up assessments (online and in the Emergency Department)
- Manage IRB submissions
- Assist with Qualtrics survey construction, testing, and formatting data reports
- Provide back-up to other staff in time of illness or emergency
- Schedule and prepare agenda and documents for project meetings
- Work with a data manager and data analyst to clean and manage study data
- Assist in overseeing coding of data for fidelity or other analyses (e.g., intervention engagement)
- Assist with literature reviews, grant writing (including annual reports to funders), and preparation of manuscripts (e.g., formatting data tables)
- This person must be flexible, have experience working as a team member, able to operate independently and have good communication skills. Comfort discussing sensitive topics with vulnerable populations using empathy and active listening is necessary. Also, experience working in a hospital ED setting preferred. This person will interact with and train staff to work with hospital personnel and handle problems that may arise in the ED as part of some studies.
- Master’s degree in Social Work, Psychology, or related clinical field
- 1-3 years of experience in a related field
- Well-versed in motivational interviewing
- Experience with Qualtrics and MS Suite
- Experience with high-risk populations/topics: substance abuse, mental health, crisis work, under-served/vulnerable populations
- Understanding of HIPAA rules and regulations
- Experience in human subjects/health services research
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary team; demonstrated ability to lead a project and team
- Flexibility to take call on evenings/nights/weekends during active study periods
- Experience with scientific writin
- State of Michigan license in psychology or related clinical field is preferred
- Experience managing a team
- Experience in providing clinical supervision
- Experience with scientific writing, including literature searches (e.g., PubMed, Google Scholar) and EndNote, and communicating scientifically about research findings
- Experience in a hospital/healthcare setting.
Primarily days, with the need to take emergency call or work scheduled shifts during active study periods on nights/evenings/weekends and fill in during staff absences; and the need to train/supervise staff at times during the active study period on nights/evenings/weekends.
Working remotely until further notice. As the university allows return to campus, work location will be North Campus Research Complex, 2800 Plymouth Rd., Bldg. 16, Ann Arbor MI 48109.
Under Michigan law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of transfer or employment for this position.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.