How to Apply
A cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter must be PAGE 1 of your resume and should:
Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position.
Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Please furnish professional references: be highly recommended by at least one professional associate (administrator, teacher, counselor).
Wolverine Pathways Math Instructor
This is a part-time temporary position.
We require your full commitment to the program session dates for which you are applying.
The University of Michigan Wolverine Pathways was established to increase the high school graduation rate, college acceptance and retention rates of academically promising scholars. The Wolverine Pathways instructors will provide exemplary service and expertise in their given subject area to the communities of Ypsilanti, Southfield and/or Detroit. They will facilitate the virtual program for highly
motivated 8th through 10th grade scholars. They will facilitate virtual individualized learning plans for scholars utilizing Khan Academy.
Instructors will facilitate the mathematical inquiry and learning for highly motivated 8th-10th grade scholars. Duties include:
- Facilitating synchronous whole group and/or half group sessions that cultivate community and norm-setting and that orient students to and transition them between math activities
- Monitoring and/or facilitating synchronous small group student-led sessions that support student mathematical stretch, problem-solving, and independence
- Providing one-on-one math tutoring for students who require additional support
- Engaging with remote math lead and/or receiving professional development or coaching with remote math lead as is warranted.
Instructors must attend mandatory professional development and all required dates.
Professional Development tentative date/time below:
- September 26, 2020
- Time: TBD
Fall session tentative dates/times below:
- Saturdays, October 10, 2020- November 21, 2020
- Time: TBD
- Bachelor’s degree in education or related specialty.
- Experience with inquiry-based teaching styles.
- Experience teaching or tutoring Algebra I through Pre-Calculus (i,e, Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, and Pre-Calculus)
- Have excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
- Desire to be an advocate for the development of students.
- Be dynamic and creative in the implementation of lessons.
- Must be able to attend pre-session training/professional development sessions.
- Specific ability-based competencies include: communicating with diverse groups; displaying tact and courtesy; maintaining confidentiality; setting priorities; being attentive to detail; establishing and maintaining effective working relationships; and the ability to work as part of a team.
- Certification in specialty/grade level.
- At least 2 years’ experience in selected subject area.
- Rated “highly effective” on school evaluations.
- If a high school teacher, experience with ACT/SAT preparation facilitation is preferred.
- Classes of 35 or fewer.
- All scholars are application vetted students.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.