The Michigan Institute for Care Management and Transformation (MICMT) is seeking a full-time experienced statistician to join our evaluation team. This position will take the lead in providing statistical expertise for MICMT. MICMT is funded by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan (BCBSM) to support their Provider-Delivered Care Management program. MICMT supports the advancement of team-based care in physician organizations and their physician practices through sharing best practices, facilitating educational opportunities, providing tools and resources, assessing the impact of team-based care efforts on the quality of care provided, and providing project management support for BCBSM initiatives related to team-based care.
The selected candidate will work under limited supervision and must demonstrate the ability to work independently. The selected candidate must understand both database and research complexities, and apply independent problem solving requiring the application of existing and emerging scientific knowledge.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- Retirement Savings Opportunities
This position involves a wide range of tasks including data management, programming, and analysis. Specifically, the position involves providing independent and collaborative statistical support including:
- Determining the appropriate statistical testing/modeling approach in accordance with the project's design
- Utilizing innovative methods to solve analytic problems and provide guidance for project design issues
- Drafting methods or related specific analysis plans for projects/manuscripts
- Independently conducting appropriate data analyses through computational implementation of statistical methods
- Working with data analyst to create, manipulate, merge, and maintain large, complex data sets
- Implementing methods to ensure data quality including sensitivity and subgroup analyses
- Preparing and maintaining technical documentation of data and analysis files
- Summarizing, interpreting, and presenting results in written, tabular and visual formats; may include presentations to large groups
- Writing of relevant sections of manuscripts and possible grant proposals
- Working closely with data analyst on creating reports of data
- Overseeing any MICMT developed data registries and the work of others involved with data management
- Senior Level:
- Master’s degree with at least 3 years of experience in statistics, biostatistics, or related field
- 3 to 5 years of experience in database management, statistical analysis and independent computer programming using STATA, R, and/or SAS software
- Intermediate Level:
- Master’s degree with at least 1-3 years of experience in statistics, biostatistics, or related field
- 1 to 3 years of experience in database management, statistical analysis and independent computer programming using STATA, R, and/or SAS software
- Experience with administrative claims data management and advanced statistical modeling
- Experience with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan claims data preferred
- Experience working with Michigan Data Collaborative (MDC), Michigan Value Collaborative (MVC) and/or MiHIN (Michigan Health Information Network) preferred
- Strong computer skills including MSWord, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to prioritize, organize, and efficiently work on multiple projects at the same time
- Must be extremely detail-oriented
- Ability to accurately and efficiently assess technical problems and provide/program solutions
- Flexibility and ability to work independently and collaboratively with multiple stakeholders or partners
- Must have proven ability to write clear and concise technical documentation, summaries of various methodologies, and descriptions of statistical results
- Excellent communication, both oral and written in the English language, and interpersonal skills are essential
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.