How to Apply
A cover letter is required with your resume and must address your approach to providing financial oversight and management, your experience creating policies/procedures, and your expertise with Excel and query tools. This position reports to the chief financial officer. Your cover letter will be used to evaluate your writing ability - an essential skill for this position.
We are seeking an experienced financial leader with particular strengths in strategic planning, financial reporting, and internal controls. The financial manager reports to the chief financial officer and leads the finance and research administration staff (3 employees). You will be responsible for assisting the CFO with the financial oversight of college fiscal operations, creation and enforcement of policies and procedures, management of business processes, creating financial reports/dashboards that “tell the story,” interpreting and implementing highly complex financial/accounting concepts and advanced techniques for financial planning, oversight and analysis. You will provide expert advisory capability and interpretation on all levels of financial activity including budgeting. The position will lead key functions such as monthly budget-to-actual variance analysis, internal control compliance, and year-end closing and financial reporting. This role also supports strategic initiatives and special projects.
The responsibilities of this position are centered on 5 key areas:
What You'll Do
- Develop, implement, and interpret highly complex financial/accounting concepts and advanced techniques for financial planning and control
- Lead the completion of the annual internal control gap analysis and institutional certification
- Lead the financial team in evaluating, creating, documenting, enforcing policies
- Lead efforts to analyze, create, review, complex financial reports and dashboards
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- 5-7 years of progressive financial management experience in a supervisory capacity
- Expert in Excel and data query tools
- Extensive knowledge of finance procedures and policy and practical experience interfacing with partners and developing business office procedures
- Strong project management skills and a track record of successful project management
- Competency in organizational navigation and ability to deal effectively and persuasively with individuals of varying levels of institutional authority
- Ability to use astute judgment, think strategically, analyze logically, and cogently and persuasively present summaries and recommendations
- Demonstrated commitment to developing strong teams, inclusive environments, and healthy cultures
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of a team
- Master’s degree
- Knowledge of BPC (Everest) software application, Business Objects, Tableau, Google suite, MPathways, NVision
- Knowledge of research administration
- Experience in process mapping and lean process development
- Knowledge of the university activity-based funding model, standard practices and guidelines, endowments, scholarship process and student financial aid
- Ability to “tell the story” by explaining complex concepts in simple terms with visual support via infographics, A3, etc.
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, U-M offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family, and plan for a secure future. Benefits include generous time off; retirement plan with two-for-one matching contributions after the first year; many choices for comprehensive health insurance; life insurance; long-term disability coverage; and flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses. Learn more about U-M benefits.
Please note: Relocation assistance is not provided.
Who We Are
Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning at the University of Michigan promotes the public good by engaging a diverse constituency in purpose-driven learning and research that focuses on the built environment. Named among the best architecture and planning schools in the country, the college prepares graduates to lead the professions, organizations, and institutions that shape our world at every scale. Learn more about Taubman College.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Taubman College values a diverse group of students, faculty, staff, and administrators that includes people of different race and ethnicity, national origin, gender and gender expression, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, religious commitment, age, and disability status. We aim to create a community of mutual respect and trust where everyone's backgrounds, identities, and views are represented without any threat of bias, harassment, intimidation, or discrimination. Learn more about our DEI efforts.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.