How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Call center representative for the Medical Specialty Call Center with a primary focus in Transplant. There will be an expectation to cross coverage in other medical specialties (Allergy, Dermatology, Gastroenterology, Infectious Disease, Endocrinology, Nephrology, Pulmonology, Pulmonary Function Testing and Rheumatology) once trained as needed. Provide customer service to patients and referring providers through the facilitation of various call center functions including phone triage, maintenance of clinic schedules, patient appointments and health record management. Respond to a high volume of referral inquiries following UMHS and departmental procedures.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- Retirement Savings Opportunities
- Answer Incoming calls for the Medical Specialty Call Center
- Perform outbound calls to patients, referring providers or other medical providers
- Schedule patient appointments and procedures in a timely and accurate manner
- Provide patients with information on necessary preparation or materials and documents needed for the appointment.
- Initiate, route and follow-up on communications with clinicians regarding patient concerns using MiChart InBasket.
- Collect and update patient demographics, insurance and authorizations, referring and/or primary care physician information and other pertinent information.
- Request and obtain health records from outside providers to support continuity of care
- Demonstrate service excellence in answering all calls.
- Ability to spell correctly and use proper grammar
- Maintain and monitor fax server
- Monitor and manage Referral Work Queue
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills (e.g. ability to provide and receive constructive feedback, seeks constructive approaches to resolving workplace issues)
- Strive to meet UMHS call center key performance indicators
- Efficiently perform general office duties, including faxing, imaging documents, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Excellent attendance record and punctuality.
- Must adhere to a high standard of personal and professional conduct.
- Demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must demonstrate the ability to interact with a diverse population.
- Must be an active team player with the ability to work independently.
- Possess strong organization and prioritization skills.
- Adhere to high standards of teamwork by demonstrating adaptability, flexibility, and consistently sharing information and resources with others.
- Demonstrates the ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- 0-2 years experience in a customer service environment.
- 2-4 years experience in a customer service environment.
- Days: Monday – Friday based on business needs
- Hours: Varied shifts between 7:30am-6:30pm
- The above subject to change based on business needs.
Medical Specialty Call Center (eligible to work from home once training is complete and performance metrics are met and able to be maintained).
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.