Why work for Michigan Medicine?
You will play an integral role within our institution, and are important to providing the highest quality service to patients and their loved ones. We are eager to assist you in becoming a well-rounded employee and individual, and to help you advance in your career. Don't hesitate - join our team today, and help us provide remarkable assistance to our patients in the Brighton area.
What perks and benefits can you look forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage
- 75% Tuition Reimbursement
- Generous Paid Time Off (PTO) and Paid Holidays
- Collaborative work environment
- Management that provides quality training and direction
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
As a Patient Sevice Assistant at the Brighton Health Center,you will provide support services to our outpatient clinical practice. In this role, you will be responsible for:
- Scheduling and coordinating appointments in MiChart, on the telephone and during check-in and check-out processes.
- Completing financial documents and collecting cash/credit card payments from patients.
- Determining the necessity (within established guidelines) for immediate attention for patient conditions of an emergent nature.
- Working with patients, families, physicians and other team members to facilitate return visits, referral requests and the scheduling of services.
- Handling incoming phone calls with regards to the Brighton Health Center practice, their physicians, scheduling, referrals, prescription refills and prior authorizations.
- Applying knowledge of department and utilizing an understanding of other departments within Michian Medicine.
- High School Diploma or GED and 0 -2 years of experience
- Demonstration of good customer service telephone skills.
- Ability to explain basic insurance coverage and co-pays to patients, and share outstanding balance infomation to the patient and or guardian.
- Exhibit a professional and positive image when interacting with patients, faculty and staff over the telephone.
- Flexibility and seeking constructive approaches to resolving workplace issues.
- Willingness to learn new ways to accomplish work.
- Accomplishes work in ways that maximize productivity and available resources while minimizing waste.
- Excellent attendance.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to work within a team setting.
- Demonstrates active listening, written, verbal and information technology skills.
- Organized, a self-starter and motivated with strong problem solving skills.
- Considerable knowledge of third party reimbursement policies and procedures.
- Knowledgeable with various types of insurances
- Ability to understand medical terminology and coding.
- Understanding of managed care plans
- Knowledge of MiChart and ability to efficiently navigate the electronic medical record system.
- Able to identify the best available appointment type to meet the patient, clinic and provider needs/requirements.
- Knowledge of Michigan Medicine Policies and Procedures.
- Recent experience in an Outpatient Clinic and able to identify "red call" and "yellow card" situations and respond appropriately.
- Relates work and job purpose to Michigan Medicine mission and commitment to putting patients and family first.
- Experience working within a large, complex healthcare setting.
What will your work schedue look like?
This is a full-time, 40 hours per week position. Shifts will be a combination of days and evenings Monday through Friday, with an occassional Saturday rotation.
8001 Challis Rd
Brighton, MI 48116
You will be tranined within the departments by one of our tenured Patient Service Assistants.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.