Tutors provide individual and small group tutoring sessions for students in nursing and nursing prerequisite courses. The tutor facilitates learning as a guide/coach to assist the student to become a successful, independent learner. The purpose of the VBSN tutor is to increase and enhance mastery of nursing concepts and practice to enhance nursing care, medication administration, to critically assess patients within complex contexts, and implement appropriate therapies to restore, maintain, or promote health as well as provide care at the end of life.
- Tutor students in specific Nursing and Nursing Support course material and integrate study and learning strategies to promote independent learning. This can be done on a one-to-one or small-group basis.
- Maintain a consistent weekly/biweekly tutoring schedule (coordinated with the VBSN staff), as well as flexibility to meet one on one with students as needed.
- Meet with the instructor(s) of the course(s) you are tutoring (as needed or as requested by VBSN staff) to discuss your role as a tutor and obtain any information that will assist you to effectively tutor. May include visits to classes to let students know of your availability.
- Keep regular and accurate records of tutoring sessions (content and sign in sheets) using the appropriate forms kept in the VBSN office.
- Complete bi-weekly timesheets accurately and turn them in to VBSN Administrative Assistant or Program Manager on a timely basis.
- Demonstrate an ability to quickly establish rapport and communicate well with students
- Exhibit excellent interpersonal communication skills and ease in relating to people from varying educational, cultural, and social backgrounds
- Exhibit excellent level of responsibility, reliability, and punctuality
- Exhibit appropriate and professional behavior at all times
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing Degree
Recent graduate of the University of Michigan-Flint BSN program
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.