How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be submitted as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to the position.
The department of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering is looking for an Associate Research Scientist. Responsibilities include:
- Perform research in the following areas:
- Shear localization modeling and process window estimation for friction stir processes and applications in dissimilar materials joining
- Structural strain based master E-N curve development for a unified treatment of low and high cycle fatigue behaviors incorporating power-law hardening of Ramberg-Osgood type
- Thermal ratcheting modeling and construction of Bree diagram for ASME Code adoption
- Publish and present research results in peer-reviewed professional journals and at scientific conferences.
- Mentor undergraduate and graduate students engaged in research activities and perform service as a member of dissertation committees.
Ph.D. in Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering or Mechanical Engineering or related field, plus relative research experience.
Michigan Engineering’s vision is to be the world’s preeminent college of engineering serving the common good. This global outlook, leadership focus and service commitment permeate our culture. Our vision is supported by a mission and values that, together, provide the framework for all that we do. Information about our vision, mission and values can be found at: http://strategicvision.engin.umich.edu/ .
The University of Michigan has a storied legacy of commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI). The Michigan Engineering component of the University’s comprehensive, five-year, DEI strategic plan—along with updates on our programs and resources dedicated to ensuring a welcoming, fair and inclusive environment—can be found at: http://www.engin.umich.edu/college/about/diversity.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.