How to Apply
To be considered, a cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter must be the leading page of your resume and should:
* Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position and
* Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
* List your current and previous positions and/or projects relevant to this job posting.
Starting salaries will vary depending upon the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
Are you wicked smart? Does building backend tools to pull data from hard to find resources make you giddy like when you were a kid at the toy store? Do we ever have a position for you! We are in search of a Big Data Software Developer who can develop tools to wrangle complicated data and work with Data Scientists to build real-time analytics that combine sophisticated multi-modal data and cutting edge machine learning models.
This position offers a unique opportunity in the areas of data science and analytics at the Michigan Center for Integrative Research in Critical Care (MCIRCC), Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Michigan (UM). Research in our center focuses on developing clinical decision support systems and a real-time analytics platform for developing and translating advanced data science into critical care. Applicants will be responsible for building the applications needed for finding, accessing, pulling, munging, organizing, and staging data from multiple locations and multiple customers.
We are looking for an ambitious, talented, and self-motivated individual with an interest in solving problems with as much automation as possible – if there is a way to make our lives easier by leveraging technology, we’ll spend a week building a tool to complete repetitive actions rather than manually doing the same task over and over. Therefore, the candidate is expected to be a dynamic problem solver who is not afraid of learning new languages and skills in order to get the job done.
This role requires active collaboration with our Data Science team as well as with other clinical collaborators within the school and in other institutes. As part of this collaboration, our Big Data Software Developers own the requirements gathering for each of their projects, ensuring that they know exactly what “done” looks like before our projects begin.
Our Big Data Software Developers influence and provide technical expertise across the organization through writing secure applications and data processes. Additionally, they possess working knowledge of our infrastructure, and the security required to protect our PHI data. This is truly a jack of all trades position. We operate like a startup by having a “let’s figure out how to do this” mentality as we develop unique technical solutions.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Who We Are
The U-M Center for Integrative Research in Critical Care (MCIRCC) is one of the world’s first comprehensive research enterprises devoted to transforming critical care medicine by accelerating science and moving it from bench to bedside. To do this, MCIRCC brings together integrative teams comprised of world-class U-M scientists, clinicians, and engineers with industry partners and funding sources to develop and deploy cutting-edge solutions that elevate the care, outcomes, and quality of life of critically ill and injured patients and their families.
Additional responsibilities include:
* Owning projects from concept through delivery and maintenance
* Manage, structure and wrangle clinical data from various databases (structured and unstructured) for analytics consumption
* Leverage software to clean data and prepare it for ML analysis
* Develop summary reports and insights from data and its derived features
* Communicate clearly and consult with our multi-disciplinary team of scientists, developers, and clinicians.
* Working with the team to prototype applications and tools
* Actively participating in discussions and decisions made by the team. We rely on each other and hold each other accountable
* Using software development best practices including test-driven and secure development
* Integrating and transforming data from multiple sources
* Integrate with external systems
* Writing unit, integration, and user acceptance tests
* Integrating analytical and machine learning model with streaming data
* Determine and document requirements
* Estimate and adjust stories and sprints
* Investigate new technologies and share with the team
* Liaison between Health Information Technology Services (HITS) and Data Science Team
* B.S. Degree in Engineering or Computer Science
* Proficiency using relevant tools (Python, R, MATLAB, SQL Server, MySQL)
* Ability to manage multiple projects and assignments with a high level of autonomy and accountability for results
* Willingness to learn and quickly adjust to new tools and systems
* Capable of converting ambiguous problem statements into concrete project requirements
In addition to the above qualifications, candidates should expect the following effort allocation and required skills:
* Backend Development (60%): Java, Python, IntelliJ, PyCharm, SQL Developer, MySQL Workbench, RedHat, Ubunto, Windows, and git
* Systems Administration/Dev Ops (20%): cron jobs, SSL Certificates Linux administration (RedHat EL8, , Ubuntu, RedHat 7)
* Database and Cloud Storage Management (10%): MySql, Oracle, Amazon AWS EC2/RDS/SE
* Passion for developing rapid prototypes
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to communicate effectively and professionally with colleagues and stakeholders. Ability to understand and explain technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
* 4 years of experience owning initiatives in a technical environment
* Familiarity with Machine Learning and commonly used data science packages including numpy, pandas, and scikit-learn
* Clarity Proficiency/Certificate
The Department of Emergency Medicine at Michigan Medicine is committed to creating an environment that is welcoming to all. We strive to value the unique contributions of individuals, and support a culture of inclusivity among our employees, learners and larger community. This includes supporting the development of a diverse workforce across identities such as the race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, citizenship, marital status, religion, language, disability, and Veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and an affirmative action employer.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.