How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The University of Michigan, Department of Psychiatry is looking for a professional and detail-oriented candidate to be a part of our growing team. The Research Therapist in this role will deliver a manualized intervention and control condition for a large-scale clinical trial known as The Persist Study.
The Persist Study aims to test whether a recently developed therapy intervention will increase retention rates for those in Opioid Use Disorder treatment. This position is a great opportunity to learn more about the intersection of research, clinical work, brief education interventions, and expand knowledge on chronic pain and substance use. This position is a great way to gain experience in the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) arena.
As a part of Michigan Medicine, this position comes with vast learning opportunities and competitive benefits, including limited licensure supervision. Our project hosts a team of curious and eager individuals looking forward to growing and learning!
As a Research Therapist, you will get a chance to work with a diverse group of participants who are currently taking medication for Opioid Use Disorder and have a history of chronic pain. You will be responsible for delivering manualized CBT intervention and brief educational control with high fidelity.
The research therapist in this role will deliver CBT and control conditions over the phone. The research therapist will be responsible for conducting risk assessments for suicide and overdose when necessary. Flexible hours are available for staff while we work remotely, however; this role will require occasional flexibility to work weekend and evening hours when necessary. Additional tasks associated with this role include: participating in supervision with other clinical staff, attending team meetings, complete ongoing training, and data entry.
- A Master’s degree in Social Work, Psychology, or a similar area of study is required.
- Previous course work or practice experience with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.
- Excellent organizational skills, professionalism, attention to detail, communication skills, and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines are all a must.
- Ability to work independently but also within a team,
- This project will serve a widespread and vulnerable population. Ability to work with a diverse range of participants is required.
- The job will require flexibility in order to meet project deadlines and goals; therefore, a strong ability to problem solve is required.
- Due to the COVID-19 climate, we are currently working remotely. The Research Therapist will be held accountable for producing a functional and professional working environment capable of meeting Michigan Medicines work from home policies.
A fully prepared candidate for this role will present:
- A background in research methods and has practiced CBT with a similar population.
- Appropriate licensing within the candidate’s field is preferred.
- Experience using MS Excel, Access, and REDCap is preferred.
- Previous experience with Veterans, chronic pain, and/or with substance use populations is preferred, but not required.
- Previous experience delivering a manualized therapy or intervention is preferred.
- Ability to maneuver throughout technology and remote communication
Each Research Therapist will be responsible for completing a schedule consisting of 40 hours a week held within 5 days. Our typical work day is either 9am to 5pm or 8am to 4pm based on manager’s approval. Some weekend or evening shifts might be needed based on participant’s availability.
Due to the COVID-19 climate, we are currently working remotely until advised. All Research Therapists will be expected to return to our base office located in Ann Arbor, MI as soon as authorized. Our office is located at the Ann Arbor North Campus Research Center, building 16. Post Covid-19, this position may require travel to partnering clinics across the state of Michigan including Grand Rapids and Traverse City.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Under Michigan law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of transfer or employment for this position.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
The University of Michigan participates with the federal EVerify system. Individuals hired into positions that are funded by a federal contract with the FAR EVerify clause must have their identity and work eligibility confirmed by the EVerify system. This position is identified as a position that may include the EVerify requirement.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.