How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Call Center Representative will be responsible for handling inbound and outbound calls. The representatives will be responsible for answering questions, scheduling appointments and surgeries, assisting multiple Michigan Medicine medical departments as needed.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Provide top notch customer service through an inbound/outbound call center environment. Demonstrate customer service excellence in answering incoming phones and retrieval of voicemail messages.
- Schedule patient appointments and procedures in a timely and accurate manner while informing, and inform patients of any necessary preparation needs in accordance with established guidelines.
- Gather and verify patient information demographics, insurance information and authorizations, referring and/or primary care physician information and other pertinent information as appropriate.
- Initiate, route, and follow-up on correspondences with clinicians regarding patient information. May include utilizing including efficient use of the electronic health record system in-boxes.
- Request and obtain accurate and timely health records from outside providers to support continuity of care.
- Prepare patient itineraries and assemble and mail patient information packets.
- Efficiently perform general office duties, including faxing, imaging documents, mail sorting and delivery.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Must adhere to a high standard of personal and professional conduct; possess excellent customer service, interpersonal, and written and oral communication skills; and demonstrated ability to interact with a diverse population.
- Must be an active team player with the ability to work independently; possess strong organization and prioritization skills; ability to handle multiple responsibilities in a fast paced environment, and demonstrated problem solving skills.
- Reasonable clerical experience, including familiarity with MS Word and Excel.
- Associate degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in the healthcare industry.
- Three to five years in high volume telephone-based/call center customer service experience (or 3-5 yrs of medical or clinical administration experience).
- 2-3 years of patient scheduling or medical administrative experience in a high volume environment.
- Demonstrated ability of strong problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work in a self-directed manner while interacting with patients, health system faculty and staff, and managed care organizations.
- Reasonable knowledge of Health System and department policies, procedures and regulations.
- Proactively participates in continuous work improvements efforts including identifying ways to reduce wastes and costs.
- Experience working with a team and demonstrating excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to work independently in an ever-changing and potentially stressful environment.
- Demonstrate dependability, initiative, ability to prioritize, and ability to accept direction.
This position is a Full or Part time Monday – Saturday. The shift will be determined by the unit leader but hours will range between 7:30am – 7pm.
Each representative will become eligible to work remotely following a series of mandatory Michigan Medicine training. Each representative will agree to adhere to all Michigan Medicine’s virtual office policies.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.