Michigan Medicine’s Department of Radiation Oncology is hiring a Dosimetrist to design external beam and brachytherapy treatment plans involving calculations of dose distributions for radiation oncology and provide technical supervision for the simulation, localization and treatment of patients.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Design, plan and calculate distribution of doses and volumetric information for radiation oncology treatments involving moving and stationary external beam fields using multi-dimensional computer techniques including 3DCRT, IMRT, VMAT, SBRT and SRS.
- Identify and contour normal and dose-limiting structures from multiple datasets used in treatment planning.
- Acquire diagnostic information, such as CT, PET and MRI, to be used interactively in the development of patient treatment plans. Register image datasets and be capable of determining quality image registrations.
- Prepare electronic medical record for daily treatment; including but not limited to daily set-up instructions, IGRT guidance documents, and scheduling documents. Review daily billing for treatment planning and prepare plans for comparison as needed for insurance approval.
- Facilitate coordination of care for radiation treatment planning for patients that have prior treatment by compiling and exporting planning data to outside facilities to support planning process as well as importing planning data from outside facilities that will now be used at UH.
- Perform quality assurance reviews of patient treatment records to verify proper documentation of treatment, doses and overall patient plan quality.
- Clinically instruct and train dosimetry students, radiation therapy technology students and physician and physics residents in treatment planning process.
- Participate in quality improvement processes.
- Participate in brachytherapy simulations and procedures including source preparation, source assay, and support in the operating room. Design, plan, and calculate 2D and 3D brachytherapy dose treatment plans for high dose rate (HDR) and low dose rate (LDR) brachytherapy deliveries.
- Perform daily and monthly HDR quality assurance checks, and provide support for annual HDR quality assurance.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the chief dosimetrist.
- Bachelor's degree in radiological physics
- Must be eligible for MDCB certification (CMD). Certification will be a requirement within 2 years
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a multi-disciplinary environment are required.
- Two years of experience as a dosimetrist and/or dosimetrist assistant.
- Ability to perform independent treatment planning is necessary.
- CMD Certified by the MDCB
- Treatment planning experience using Varian Eclipse planning system along with ARIA record and verify.
- Prior experience as a radiation therapist.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to duties in both the simulator environment and dosimetry for our Main Campus department.
- We are a fully electronic department using Varian Eclipse treatment planning system with ARIA treatment management system.
- The work environment is very fast paced treating a wide range of cases daily including IMRT/SBRT/VMAT/SRS & HDR. Adult and pediatric cases are treated. On average we treat around 165 patients daily. Treating ~135 external beam and 1-5 brachytherapy patients at the University Main Campus department (Ann Arbor, MI) and ~30 patients at our department located in Brighton, MI.
- Our Main Campus has 6 Varian Linear accelerators and a Varian Gamma Med Plus iX afterloader HDR unit. The CT simulator is a Phillips widebore CT scanner and our MR simulator is a Siemens MRI scanner for a total of about 12-20 new simulations per day.
- Our Brighton department has 1 Varian Linear accelerator along with 1 Siemens Simulator currently simulating 2-5 new cases per day.
- Our dosimetry staff includes 12 clinical dosimetrists and 3 research dosimetrists. There are 16 Physicists who provide support to the dosimetry team as needed.
- This position requires moderate standing/walking, as well as lifting, positioning, pushing, and/or transferring of patients.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.