The Department of Pathology is seeking a highly motivated individual to perform the assigned duties for the daily operation of NCRC Central Supply in order to assure accurate and timely receipt, processing, and distribution of laboratory supplies. This candidate will provide excellent customer service to internal and external customers while implementing standardized work and FIFO (First In-First Out) inventory systems, including lot item management. Implement Lean Tools throughout the Pathology supply system.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- Retirement Savings Opportunities
- Receive all incoming shipments to Pathology at NCRC
- Unpack all shipments and organize items for delivery to appropriate destinations
- Reconcile invoices with purchase orders
- Complete necessary paperwork, tracking, and organization of incoming items
- Maintain and monitor inventory levels for both Central Supply and lab spaces
- Work with lab staff to ensure appropriate inventory levels are maintained
- Resolve order discrepancies (work with lab staff and vendors)
- Conduct additional tasks as assigned
In addition the candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Customer Service: MUST thrive in a team atmosphere. Must also be able to perform independently. Must be able to work with others to problem solve and implement continuous improvement strategies.
- Quality Control: Ensure that products are handled and stored according to vendor product inserts. Monitor product expiration dates and additional details as required.
- Safety: Comply with safety instructions and observe safe work practices.
- Communication and Teamwork: Use effective communication including written, verbal, and information technology skills. Work effectively with others to accomplish goals.
- Leadership: Supervision of 2-3 additional Central Supply staff required as directed by LNC Manager.
- Training: Applicant will work with the Pathology Relocation and Renovation team to develop the processes that will be implemented.
- Mandatories, Continuing Education, Competencies: Willingness to be open minded and ability to perform in an ever changing environment. Michigan Medicine standard competencies will be required. Expected to train in various ordering systems, including but not limited to the University of Michigan Procurement systems.
In order to be considered for this position the applicant must have met or will have met all the required qualifications prior to the start date of employment.
- The chosen candidate must be a highly motivated person with the ability to perform tasks requiring a high level of concentration, decision making, and reasoning.
- Candidate must be well organized, able to plan and prioritize multiple projects, and work within stringent deadlines.
- They must be able to analyze data, conduct problem solving, and implement continuous improvement strategies including using memory skills and have a high level of attention to detail.
- The candidate must be familiar and willing to implement/follow Lean and Standardized Work concepts, proficient in MS software, especially MS Excel, familiar with M-Pathways and M-Marketsite.
- The candidate must be customer oriented, have a positive attitude and be able to work as a team and independently.
- Applicant must have a working knowledge of laboratory supplies used in a Pathology setting.
This position is located an North Campus Research Complex (NCRC) in the Pathology bulidings.
- This job includes repetitive work, standing for long periods of time and walking.
- Candidate must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.