Medical Assistant/Associate functioning in an assist role to nursing, in a busy outpatient specialty clinical office setting within Gastroenterology. Spends majority of the time answering and processing telephone and computer messages for multiple nurses. Located in Taubman Center, Gastroenterology Nurses Office.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Basic clerical tasks that require proper telephone technique, basic typing, computer and data entry skills.
- Assist with telephone triage and creates patient encounters to route to either the provider and/or nurses using MiChart.
- Manage incoming faxes.
- Assists with prescription refills. Completes Prior Authorization for medications if need be.
- Prepare disability forms.
- Obtain outside medical records for upcoming appointments.
- Image documents into MiChart.
- Handle incoming/outgoing mail.
- Schedules upcoming appointments and procedures for patients as requested.
- Provide patient with appropriate educational/preparation information for procedures.
- Obtain laboratory results from outside labs for lab monitoring system using AviTracks.
- Problem solves and works proactively with faculty, nursing and other employees regarding patient concerns/issues/questions.
Able to work in a fast paced customer friendly environment. Graduation from medical assistant program. High school diploma or General Education Development (GED) credential. Adheres to high standards of teamwork by demonstrating adaptability, flexibility and consistently shares information and resources with others. Works well with minimal supervision and possesses strong attention to detail. Documented history of excellent attendance and punctuality. Effective time management skills/consistently uses available time effectively. Excellent customer service skills. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (e.g. ability to provide and receive constructive feedback, seeks
Previous experience in an ambulatory care clinical setting. MiChart experience. Certification as a Medical Assistant. Experience in clinical data entry and lab monitoring programs- AviTracks. Knowledge of University and Department of Internal Medicine policies and procedures.
40 hours, full-time. Days - Monday through Friday.
This position may be filled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.