How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Frontline interaction with patients and families performing clerical functions in a busy outpatient specialty clinic setting for the Divisions of Pulmonary and Nephrology. We are seeking a compassionate and enthusiastic Patient Services Assistant/Associate to join our team. This individual will share our priorities which include: high quality medical care, excellent customer service, commitment to innovation, safety of staff and patients, efficiency, employee satisfaction, stewardship of resources and the ideal customer service experience.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- Retirement Savings Opportunities
- Check in and check out patients
- Scheduling and coordination of patient appointments, tests and consults
- Gather and verify patient demographics, insurance and other pertinent information
- Prepare, maintain and update forms, consents, and questionnaires
- Provide general information to staff and families
- Process patient charges, collect payments and reconcile cash collections
- Management of MiChart in-basket notes
- Work with the nursing team, providers, medical assistants, call center and other team members to improve patient care and improve processes to enhance patient experience.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- General office experience; preferably in a medical setting
- Candidate must have excellent verbal and written skills
- Candidate must demonstrate team effort, be able to work independently, have good organizational and prioritization skills
- Candidate must have an excellent attendance record
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- High School Diploma or GED
Assitant level: 0-2 years experience
Associate level: 2+ years experience
- Basic medical terminology
- Previous experience in an ambulatory care clinical setting
- Knowledge of University and Department of Internal Medicine policy and procedures
- Experience working with Cadence and MiChart and Insurance carriers
Shift/Hours/Days: Days/ 7:00AM – 6:00PM/ Monday – Friday (hours may vary)
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.