How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
We are seeking a Financial Analyst Senior to join the Executive Business Service (EBS) team. The EBS team provides a broad range of budget, financial, procurement, administrative and consulting services for five Executive Offices: President, Vice President and General Counsel, Vice President and Secretary, Vice President for Government Relations, and Vice President for Communications.
Please note: We have posted this position as a Financial Analyst Senior, but could opt to fill at a Financial Analyst Intermediate level. The candidate will be offered the position at the senior or intermediate level based on their overall qualifications and experience in areas directly relevant to the responsibilities of the position.
- Partner with University executive and senior leadership to develop department budgets and assist with understanding and interpreting performance against budgets
- Consult with executive leadership on a wide range of business-related topics to develop strategy for achieving department goals, while maximizing long-term financial stability and flexibility
- Provide accurate and thoughtful guidance and consultation regarding U-M and EBS department financial policies and procedures
- Develop regular and ad hoc reports and analysis
- Review and approve transactions
- Promote a strong internal controls environment and help create and manage processes in collaboration with EBS departments to ensure controls are in place
- Provide training to EBS department administrative staff on budget and finance related topics
- Partner with EBS departments to help promote continual improvement by optimizing business processes and identifying and developing best practices
- Outstanding communicator, with strong writing, speaking and presentation skills
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Sensitivity to respond appropriately to the needs of a diverse group of customers and engender trust
- Strong customer service focus
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business administration or equivalent work experience.
- Five years of progressively responsible experience in finance, financial analysis, forecasting, and budgeting.
- Extensive knowledge and experience using spreadsheets (preferably Excel) and advanced spreadsheet functions.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with staff at all levels and varying levels of financial and budgetary knowledge.
- Demonstrated ability to present complex financial data to senior/executive leadership.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure of deadlines and competing priorities.
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team, ability to complete tasks in timely manner.
- Able to adapt to a changing environment.
- Significant experience with complex financial and administrative information systems (Business Objects and M-Pathways highly desired)
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
The University of Michigan, with an operating budget of $10 billion, is a leader in higher education. The Finance Division reports to the Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer and partners with the University community to provide the financial infrastructure essential to being one of the world's greatest public universities. We are comprised of several units including Treasury, Financial Operations, Sponsored Programs, Procurement Services and Financial Analysis. While we are comprised of several distinct divisions, we share a common set of values and goals. For more information about the Finance Division, please go to www.finance.umich.edu. We offer an extensive total compensation package including competitive pay, two-for-one retirement contribution, a variety of health insurance options, and a generous vacation plan. In addition, there are seven paid holidays and four paid season days.
The University of Michigan seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to sustain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
NOTE: Candidates for this position must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.