How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
A postdoctoral research fellow position is available in the Natural Products Discovery Core (NPDC) at the Life Sciences Institute (LSI) at the University of Michigan. You will report to the Director of the NPDC and will work in a dynamic research environment that is at the cutting edge of natural products discovery, biosynthetic chemistry and chemoinformatics platform, as research projects will involve data informatics based multi-disciplinary approaches to discover small molecule with bioactivities such as anti-HIV, anti-diabetic, anti-hypertensive, agonist/antagonist of GPCRs and anti-cancer.
Our mission at the Life Sciences Institute is to advance the understanding of the fundamental processes of life, and to pioneer new ideas to improve human health.
For additional information on the Life Sciences Institute, please go to: https://www.lsi.umich.edu/about.
For additional information on the NPDC:, please go to: https://www.lsi.umich.edu/science/centers-technologies/natural-products-discovery-core.
Experimental responsibilities will include:
- Conduct analytical research as related to natural products isolation and quantification of samples identified in high throughput screening assays for multiple targets originating from within the NPDC intramural and extramural programs.
- Apply modern MS and gDNA based information system to diversify the Natural Product Extracts asset at the Center for Chemical Genomics (CCG) located within the LSI
- Microbial engineering and genetics to explore project on genomes to natural products
- High-throughput mass spectrometry based covalent drug discovery platform
Non-experimental responsibilities will include:
- Mentor undergraduates, graduate students and postdoctoral fellows
- Assist PI with writing manuscripts and grants
- PHD degree in biological or chemical sciences
- Minimum 2 years of NMR/MS structural characterization background working with small molecules
- Minimum 2 years mass spectrometry based metabolomics experience in the field of natural products
- Knowledge about yield/strain improvement of natural products in microbial strains
- A commitment to advancing drug discovery research and therapy as part of a highly interactive team from across the Center for Chemical Genomics (CCG), BioNMR, Medicinal Chemistry Core and Pharmacokinetics Core
- Experimental trouble-shooting, and analysis and presentation of data in professional formats
- Experience leading research projects in a basic science research lab
- Experience writing manuscripts and grants
- Minimum 3 year’s experience in basics with modern NMR techniques, structure elucidation and dereplication strategies
- Minimum 3 year’s experience in mass spectrometry-based data informatics
- Experience in microbial genetics and microbial engineering
Benefits at the University of Michigan
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Generous time off
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.