How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Patient Services Associate will provide clerical services in an outpatient setting while providing excellent customer service to patients and providers and maintaining a demeanor complementary to medical ethics and University’s mission, values and goals.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
1) Performs Clerical & Radiology Reading Room duties as directed by supervisor or lead.
- Utilize proper telephone skills in directing and transferring incoming calls.
- Accurately enter patient, study and physician information into the radiology information system (Radiant) and be knowledgeable of the system as it pertains to your duties.
- Accurately enter codes and pertinent information.
- Be proficient in digital processes as they pertain to your duties: image archiving; PACS, CD burning, troubleshooting printer problems and providing comparisons for interpretations.
- Be proficient in work processes; directing control sheets as per study ordered; promptly providing radiologists and providing assistance whenever asked; monitoring and resolving unread studies; promptly handling all call reports & stat reads; monitoring CD request and promptly expediting the same.
- Answer incoming phone calls and triage to appropriate location.
- Accurately record any phone messages and assure they are forwarded appropriately.
- Receive and assist patients and other customers.
- Have the ability to follow Radiology Gold Standard Customer Service guidelines consistently.
- Adhere to high standards of teamwork by demonstrating adaptability, flexibility, and consistently sharing information and resources with others.
- Ability to work independently in an ever-changing and potentially stressful environment.
- Demonstrate dependability, initiative, ability to prioritize, and ability to accept direction.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Working knowledge of MiChart, Radiology Information System (Radiant) and McKesson.
- Promote personal comfort and convenience of patients and families by routinely checking their needs.
2) Interact with patients, staff and providers in a spirit of customer service, cooperation and teamwork.
3) Demonstrate proper leadership and communication skills when assisting patients, staff or providers with problem resolution.
4) Maintains proper attendance.
5) Maintain patient confidentiality and adhere to HIPAA guidelines.
6) Dress appropriately and within departmental guidelines.
7) Assist all co-workers, patients and interdepartmental staff as needed or as it pertains to your duties.
8) Coordinate and schedule Radiology procedures
- Adhere to high standards of teamwork by demonstrating adaptability, flexibility, and consistently sharing information and resources with others
- Ability to work independently in an ever-changing and potentially stressful environment
- Demonstrate dependability, initiative, ability to prioritize, and ability to accept direction
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent attendance record
- High School diploma or equivalent
- 3 years experience in customer service setting
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to work well within a team setting
- Experience working with EPIC, Radiant & McKesson Systems
- Experience working in a large, complex healthcare system
- Knowledge of university policies & procedures
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology
20 hour position - Wednesday evenings - Saturday days
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.