How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Michigan Clinical Research Unit (MCRU) part of the Medical School Office of Research Clinical Trials Support Office; is seeking an experienced, highly energetic candidate to provide laboratory support in accordance with the good clinical practices as well as OSHA guidelines for a biosafety level 2+ lab. Reports directly to the Administrative Manager and MCRU Leadership.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- Retirement Savings Opportunities
Performs the job related expectations for this position assisting with MCRU Specimen Core research lab functions, which include:
- Understands the basic principles of specimen processing
- Performs basic specimen processing and shipping for study specific protocols under direct supervision of the MCRU Lab Lead
- Ensure proper labeling and documentation of specimens for study specific protocols
- Performs basic sample management data entry
- Ensures work area and lab are maintained, well stocked, and clean
- Complete and maintain all lab specific training certifications
- Demonstrates an understanding of proper lab equipment
- Understand and enforce MCRU Lab guidelines set for study teams
- Provides a wide variety of moderately complex to complex technical lab support for the Michigan Clinical Research Unit. Assists in evaluating lab methods, procedures, and techniques based on established protocols.
- Monitor /analyze work flows and provide work-flow solutions/troubleshooting
- Assist in the management of the frozen specimen samples. Ensuring the freezer are cleaned out, re-organizing samples, shipment of samples, and maintaining the system for general and monthly batch shipping.
- Manage transactional specimen/data collection, processing, and distribution.
- Assist with training new laboratory employees and new study team members for MCRU Lab use
- Serve as a backup for the MCRU Lab Lead including attend MCRU initiation and feasibility meetings.
- Assist with quality control of research specimens
- Troubleshoot study team problems with collections, kits and/or specimen issues
- Demonstrates the ability to maintaining working relationships with clinical study coordinators to ensure accurate completion of study trial tasks
- Proficiency to work and maintain Good Clinical Practices as well as OSHA guidelines for a biosafety level 2+ lab.
- Create, develop, and modify operational lab SOP’s
- Assist in maintaining lab equipment.
- Assist in creating necessary laboratory guidelines and protocols for future research studies while maintaining the needs of current active studies and trials
- Other duties as assigned prioritizing and executing daily laboratory workflow to ensure the MCRU Core Lab is performing to a high standard implemented by the Laboratory
- Maintain and adhere to quality control standards and practices set by MCRU Lab Lead
High school diploma or Associate's degree and 1 to 3 years’ experience
Bachelor’s Degree in a health-related discipline or equivalent experience in chemistry, biology, or a related health science. This position requires accountability, teamwork, and the ability to continually update and improve operations within the facility. Flexibility to work late hours and weekends on short notice required. Ability to work at satellite locations in addition to the MCRU Specimen Core is required. Good customer service skills are highly desirable. Experience with Lab Vantage, Freezerworks- inventory tracking database system is preferred.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.