How to Apply
To apply for this position, please include a copy of your resume and cover letter (make this the first page of your resume) and click the Apply Now button above. (Your salary will be determined by your qualifications, experience, and education.)
Come join a team of passionate individuals at a non-profit serving Michigan’s public universities, colleges, K-12 organizations, libraries, state government, healthcare and other Michigan non-profit organizations for over 54 years!
Reporting to the Executive Director of Product Management, you will be an integral member of Merit Network’s software development team, creating web applications, software tools, and integrations in support of large-scale Network, Security and Community services for the higher education and public sector community. A few examples include the Michigan Moonshot (https://www.merit.edu/community/moonshot/), Merit’s CISO Scanner (https://www.merit.edu/security/ciso-scanner/), Merit RADb (http://radb.net/), and Merit’s NetSuite ERP. The team develops applications that enhance Merit's service offerings as well as to increase operational efficiency within Merit. The team works with internal customers to scope, develop, release, and continuously improve technology solutions. Once released, the team is responsible for support and will work with customers to periodically review and further enhance applications. The team is also responsible for keeping Merit current with the latest and most useful technologies.
This will be an excellent opportunity for you to push the limits of current web technology and experiment with a variety of techniques, in order to build robust, enterprise-level solutions.
The team's current development stack consists of: Python, Django, React, and Oracle. Secondarily, the team also uses MySQL, PostgreSQL, Mojolicious, Bootstrap, AngularJS, Perl, and C.
To learn more about Merit and our team, please visit our website: https://www.merit.edu
What You'll Do
Essential functions for this position are followed be an (E).
Approximately 75% of time and duties are needed to:
- Evaluate requirements for new web-based applications and enhancements to existing applications. (E)
- Design, develop, test, and document web-based applications and supporting back-end systems. (E)
- Work with APIs and other data sources to integrate with external systems. (E)
- Support legacy applications (with an eye to replacing them with modernized solutions). (E)
Approximately 15% of time and duties are needed to:
- Trouble ticket response and resolution (E)
Approximately 10% of time and duties are needed to:
- Keep abreast of new programming technologies (E)
- Make recommendations on future technology direction (E)
Skills You Have
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, a related field, or an equivalent combination of education & experience
- At least 2+ years of experience with systems analysis and programming activities in a business environment
- Proven ability to deliver production-ready software on-time and on-budget
- Fluency in Python
- Knowledge of revision control systems such as git and subversion
- Knowledge of shell scripting, linux system utilities, network and application protocols
- Knowledge of the Atlassian Suite of products (Jira, BitBucket, Confluence)
- Solid SQL skills (Oracle, PostgreSQL, and MySQL)
- Great documentation skills
- Ability to prioritize and multitask many small projects
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills with the ability to interact effectively with employees at all levels both within the organization and with Merit's members and customers
- Positive demeanor, even under pressure
- Dedication to learning and advancing your skills
- Ability to troubleshoot software and communications malfunctions
- Solid understanding of testing best practices and why testing is important
- Object-Oriented Perl (Moose)
- Experience with NetSuite ERP
- DBI and DBlx::Class
- Mojolicious MVC framework
- jQuery, Twitter Bootstrap, Bulma
- C experience
- Mobile app development experience
- Knowledge of the networking or cyber security industries are a plus.
- Experience working with higher education, K-12 educational institutions, libraries, research institutions and other public sector non-profit organizations are a plus
We are posting this position at the Intermediate level, but will consider filling it at the Associate level depending on the qualifications, experience, and education of the preferred candidates. (Your salary will be determined by your qualifications, experience, and education.)
We are committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to support staff and their families. Learn more about our 2:1 retirement matching, healthcare plans with nationwide coverage including prescription drug coverage, multiple dental plans, a vision plan, flexible spending account, well-being programs, long-term disability, automatic life insurance, general legal services, multiple early childhood centers, time away from work and work-life programs to promote balance. Learn more at http://careers.umich.edu/benefits/
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by you (with or without accommodations) to perform the essential functions of the job.
You must frequently work at a computer station, answer telephone calls, emails, and other forms of customer/client communication. You may on occasion move items of varying sizes and weights throughout the office or building.
Some local, state-wide, and occasional nation-wide travel to attend off-site meetings, conferences, and events may be required.
The University of Michigan/Merit Network conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third-party administrator to conduct background checks in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for at least seven (7) calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
- If you have any questions regarding this job, please visit our website: https://www.merit.edu/about/careers/
- Assistance is available if you need help completing this application; please call (734) 615-2000, option 1
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.