To support the operational needs of the unit and to assist in the delivery of care as a member of the O.R. team.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- Retirement Savings Opportunities
- Maintain room cleanliness prior to and following surgical procedures.
- Assist with preparation of operating room including retrieval of monitors and specialty beds, and related equipment for surgeries.
- Ensure availability of instruments and supplies needed for case. Assist with opening of supplies and instruments.
- Assist nursing staff in preparing patient for surgery including: lifting, positioning, prepping and additional duties as directed by the circulating nurse or manager.
- Delivery of blood products and specimens to appropriate location(s).
- Pick daily cases according to scheduled operative time and urgency.
- Maintains the unit environment including cores, rooms, scrub areas and hallways.
- Return instruments and unused supplies at case completion or when cases are cancelled.
- Assist with transportation of patients as needed including retrieval of beds and stretchers, transport patient from unit to O.R. as needed.
- Respond and assist to emergency/trauma cases, assist surgical team as directed.
- Assist with post mortem care and transportation.
- Precept new hires as assigned.
- Demonstrate appropriate infection control and universal precautions.
- Complete duties associated with team affiliation.
- Maintain, test patient care of equipment. Initiate repair when indicated.
- Serve on unit based committees as a representative of the Perioperative technician group.
- Adhere to high standards of teamwork by demonstrating adaptability, flexibility, and consistently sharing information and resources with others
- Ability to work independently in an ever-changing and potentially stressful environment
- Demonstrate dependability, initiative, ability to prioritize, and ability to accept direction
- Proven ability to work as a member of a team and be self directed.
- Excellent communication and problem solving skills.
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent attendance record
- High School diploma or equivalent
Graduation from a Medical assistant program or equivalent years of experience preferred.
General supervision is received from area supervisor and manager.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.