Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- Retirement Savings Opportunities
- Customer Service: Provide total customer focus to meet the needs of every customer, internal and external, including medical staff, laboratory staff, patients, and families.
- Specimen Collection: Provide instruction for specimen collection for Sendout tests.
- Specimen Handling: Prepare and package laboratory specimens for testing in reference laboratories.
- Computer Data Entry: Enter laboratory test orders into the laboratory computer system and the reference laboratory interfaces (RLI).
- Sendout area additional duties: Perform specific Sendouts and MLabs duties as assigned.
- Order, process, and package Sendout specimens.
- Monitor Sendout inventory levels and adjust ordering appropriately based upon assay ordering patterns.
- Complete FedEx paperwork for outgoing specimens.
- Troubleshoot problems with Sendout specimens/results.
- Train incoming staff.
- Assist with Sendout Audit.
- Notify Senior Technologist of any workflow issues.
- Other duties as assigned
- Sign in couriers for STAT and routine Mlab drops.
- Log in samples in using Soft Lab per established procedure, and according to Mlabs Client manual.
- Transport, label, centrifuge, aliquot, distribute, store, and prepare laboratory specimens for testing in Pathology or reference laboratories.
- Order Chemistry random and 24 hour urine's (weigh 24 hour urine's).
- Dispose of Mlabs urine's daily that are greater than 7 days old.
- Assist with trouble shooting, or questions regarding specimen requirements.
- Process specimens in accordance to problem email answers.
- Assist other workstations between client drops/problems, and when necessary.
- Log, open, and sort cyclosporine FedEx specimens.
- Sort and route completed Mlabs requisitions to the appropriate location in absence of Mlabs QA staff.
- Determine correct test codes using resources such as Careweb, Pathology Handbook, Mlabs Client Manual, and procedure manuals.
- Follow procedures for order entry; entering comments, using correct encounters, account numbers, ICD-9 codes, doctor name and numbers.
- Safety: Comply with safety instructions and observe safe work practices.
- Communication and Teamwork: Use effective communication including written, verbal, and information technology skills. Work effectively with others to accomplish goals.
- Training: Train employees for Sendout and MLabs area duties.
- Other duties as assigned.
In order to be considered for this position the applicant must have met or will have met all the required qualifications prior to the start date of employment.
High school diploma supplemented with additional coursework in a science area in addition to knowledge of laboratory tests and procedures is required.
Familiarity with information systems and computer activity.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.