How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Office for Health Equity and Inclusion (OHEI) develops mechanisms for inclusion, diversity and cultural sensitivity among faculty, learners, and staff at Michigan Medicine. OHEI also advances clinical care for under-served patient populations through research and education with a goal of transforming health care and ensuring health care equity.
For more information visit: www.ohei.med.umich.edu
The Administrative Director (AD) is responsible for providing oversight and direction of the administrative functions and operations of OHEI. Working closely with the Associate Vice President and Associate Dean for Health, Equity and Inclusion, the AD provides strategic guidance and implementation of the OHEI mission and vision.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- Retirement Savings Opportunities
- Oversight of OHEI financial performance, including budget.
- Responsible for space utilization, internal controls and compliance
- Supervision of a team of 10+ employees including responsibility for recruitment and performance management.
- Oversight of the DEI Strategic plan for Michigan Medicine
- Chair of the Michigan Medicine DEI Steering Committee
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to establish and deliver a plan for a large scale culture change
- Ensure programming, events, and resources are in alignment with both MM and OHEI strategic vision for an inclusive culture across Michigan Medicine.
- Build relationships to partner, foster and create buy-in for the university’s diversity, equity & inclusion initiatives and create strategies to foster an open and affirming culture for all staff
- Partner with UHR/MMHR and Organizational Learning to ensure seamless integration of DEI related content into existing platforms, structures and delivery systems
- Work to continuously improve professional processes, communications, training opportunities, events, and activities to reinforce the culture of DEI at Michigan Medicine.
- Provide oversight to and partner with OHEI communications specialist in coordinating the strategy for DEI communications, public relations activities, and website design
- Develop metrics for measuring the effectiveness of diversity initiatives implemented and prepare periodic reports for leadership as necessary
- Represent OHEI on committees and other activities within MM, the University, and community groups as needed.
- Partner with community resources to promote health equity and improve social determinants of health
- MBA, MPH or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and data analysis.
- Experience in management and supervision of a team of 5 or more.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible administrative experience in a complex environment.
- Strong understanding of current local, regional, and national best practices and trends in diversity and inclusion within higher education.
- Demonstrated capacity to conduct strategic planning, build consensus, determine readiness for change and act decisively in plan implementation.
- Ability to develop and clearly communicate strategies, key measures of success and accountabilities to stakeholders.
- Respect for the value of each person’s contributions to a team, as well as a demonstrated commitment to enhancing diversity and inclusion.
- Experience with data driven and informed decision making in a complex environment.
- Ability to produce forward-looking, transparent strategic plans and budgets that link expenditures to outcomes.
Reporting and key partnerships
The Administrative Director reports to the Associate Vice President and Associate Dean for Health Equity and Inclusion. The Administrative Director also works closely, and in partnership with, Michigan Medicine/University Human Resources, Department of Organizational Learning, Office for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, and other key leaders at Michigan Medicine to implement the DEI Strategic Plan.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.