The University of Michigan Medical group is seeking a highly motivated professional to build and provide ongoing maintenance of a decision support platform. This individual will be responsible for end-to-end BI solutions, including data mart design and development, creation of reports and visualizations using appropriate Business Intelligence tools (e.g. Tableau), and data analysis.
This individual will serve a key role in developing business intelligence tools to drive decision making, ultimately maximizing value of care delivery at UMHS. Ideal candidates should have a blend of operational and technical experience, with demonstrated ability to function with a high degree of autonomy. The position provides the opportunity for development and growth within Michigan Medicine.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- Retirement Savings Opportunities
- Serve as a technical expert including but not limited to report writing via SQL, design of dashboards utilization visualization tools, conduct validation and user acceptance testing of developed solutions
- Master understanding of BI architecture, functions, features, to be able to customize tool to specific user needs
- Interview end users to determine requirements for data, reports, analytics, metadata, training, service, data quality, and performance
- Work with data warehousing team and data architects to translate business requirements into technical specifications, and ensure that architecture is optimized for data needs
- Partner with customers to collect and coordinate business requirements to deliver meaningful and reliable performance analytics
- Lead development of data analytics and business intelligence capabilities to support and fulfill business use cases
- Mine large complex data sets from various sources of data
- Translate abstract business questions into analytic use cases and visual reports/dashboards in Tableau
- Audit and reconcile operational data, patient data, financial data and other statistics and metrics
- Provide data analytics support to clinical programs, performance improvement initiatives, operational leadership, and levels of executive leadership
- Proficient use of SQL or alternative relational database querying software to support business needs
- Advanced knowledge with data analysis & visualization tools (e.g. Tableau, R, etc.)
- Proficiency in Excel
- Demonstrated proficiency in technical, problem solving, and analytical skills
- Has working knowledge in BI architecture, functions, and features
- Ability to translate abstract concepts and business requirements into technical solutions
- Ability to understand complex clinical and business processes and identify relevant data sets
- Have innovative and creative approach to reporting, analytics and data visualization
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, a proactive service-oriented team player
- Ability to effectively communicate with technical data architects and operational leadership
- Adaptability and flexibility to adjust to fluctuating changes in project needs
- Comfort in navigating ambiguity with a can-do attitude, adaptable and quick learner, willingness to acquire and develop new skills as needed
Bachelor’s degree in Health Information Systems, Computer Science, Data Science/Analytics, Biostatistics, Engineering, Business or a related field.
Intermediate: 3 to 5 years of experience.
Senior: 5+ years of experience
- Epic Clarity Proficiency or Certification
- Previous work experience with an academic medical center or in healthcare desired
- Quantitative experience or coursework in healthcare finance
- Background in Computer Science or Health Information Systems a plus
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Please note: Sponsorship cannot be provided for this position.
The mission of Michigan Medicine is to improve the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. With annual revenues of over $4 billion, Michigan Medicine ranks as one of the top academic health centers in the country, and is committed to providing exceptional patient care, facilitating groundbreaking research and developing the next generation of physicians and scientists. Michigan Medicine consists of the University of Michigan Health System (UMHS), the University of Michigan Medical School and its Medical Group, and the Michigan Health Corporation. Additionally, Metropolitan Hospital Corporation became a member effective December 2016.
The Clinical Enterprise generates nearly $4.0 billion in annual patient care revenue from over 1,200 licensed beds and 130+ clinics. In the most recent fiscal year, patient activity totaled 56,000 inpatient discharges and almost 2 million outpatient visits. The UMHS and Medical School operate 80+ accredited GME programs which combined represents the 3rd largest program in the country based on number of residents and fellows. Michigan Medicine also receives nearly $550 million in annual research awards including several hundred projects each year in clinical and translational research.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.