Frontline interaction with patients and families performing clerical functions in a busy outpatient clinic setting for a Multi-Specialty Clinic. We are seeking a compassionate and enthusiastic Patient Services Assistant/Associate to join our team. This individual will share our priorities which include: high quality medical care, excellent customer service, commitment to innovation, safety of staff and patients, efficiency, employee satisfaction, stewardship of resources and the ideal customer service experience. Ensuring a Patient and Family centered experience according to the Health Systems Service Excellence Goals is a priority to our care of our patients. The individual chosen will be responsible for meeting the highest standards of customer service including, exhibiting a professional and positive image when interacting with patients, faculty and staff.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
Provide general clerical support in fast paced high volume patient care environment. Provide exceptional customer service and support to all Brighton Center for Specialty Care and Michigan Medicine patients, families, providers and team members. Candidate should expect to cross train on all office duties and be able to assume different roles as needed. Duties include:
Receive/assist patients and families as well as providing check in and check out services to specialty care departments.
Gather and verify patient demographics, insurance and other pertinent information.
Prepare, maintain and update forms, consents and questionnaires
Collect co-pays, account payments, prepare charge tickets and reconcile cash collections
Scheduling and coordination of patient appointments, tests and consults in a timely and accurate manner.
Management of MiChart in-basket notes and front end work queues.
Confirm, notify and remind patients of appointments and/or changes.
Work with the nursing team, providers, medical assistants, call center and other team members to improve patient care and improve processes to enhance patient experience.
Our Patient Service members are a fast-growing team of dynamic, flexible and dependable individuals. We value diversity and work with a large variety of patients and clinicians. PSAs are trained to respond to the needs of our clinicians, as well as the varied needs of a large patient population.
All other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Exemplary interpersonal, communication and customer service skills.
- Cheerful and energetic individual, motivated with a positive and professional attitude.
- Must be a team player with ability to take direction and communicate with peers and patients courteously and respectfully at all times.
- Excellent service recovery skills.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize, problem solve and work cooperatively with faculty and staff.
- Strong attention to detail, multitasking, accountability and follow through abilities.
- Required flexibility in all aspects of work assignments and is able to switch work to meet the needs of the clinic while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Ability to work as part of a team but also able to take direction while successfully managing the clinic needs in a fast-paced, high volume environment.
- Demonstrated effective verbal, written and information technology communication skills.
- Exhibits professional and positive image when interacting with patients, faculty, and staff.
- Able to handle multiple responsibilities in a fast-paced environment with accuracy.
- Demonstrated excellent attendance and reliability are required.
- Proven ability to work well under pressure.
Assistant level: 0-2 years of related experience.
Associate level: 2-3 years of related experience.
- Knowledge of check-in, check-out, and outpatient scheduling utilizing MiChart (EPIC-Cadence) system.
- Clerical experience and medical terminology are helpful.
- Experience working within a large, complex healthcare setting.
- Familiarity with Michigan Medicine's electronic health record setting.
- Knowledge of university policies & procedures.
40 hours per week. Monday through Friday, hours may vary, days 7:00 AM – 7:00 PM. We are flexible in scheduling, and request that you are also flexible in working various shifts.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.