The Section of Plastic Surgery is seeking responsible clerical support for its busy Plastic Surgery Clinic at Dominos Farms.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Receive and assist patients, visitors, and staff.
- Schedule patient appointment with patients and /or referring clinic.
- Monitor waiting area activity and assure a clean, organized, and safe environment.
- Promote personal comfort and convenience of patients and families by routinely checking their needs.
- Provide information regarding hospitals and community services as needed.
- Process and compile patient paperwork for exams and clinical staff.
- Call patients to remind them of upcoming appointments.
- Utilize paging system to contact appropriate staff as required.
- Prepare patient itinerary and all other appropriate correspondence.
- Accurately and efficiently schedule patient appointments utilizing Cadence.
- Management of pre-arrival functions to assure all necessary information has been obtained for clinic visits.
- Serve as a resource for physicians and other staff, patients, and outside third parties for insurance authorizations.
- Respond to patient inquires related to special requirements of insurance plans, directing patient to insurance carrier as needed to address coverage and benefit questions.
- Assist patients with payment questions. Collect payments, Co-pays, and past due balances at patient check out using established department guidelines.
- Reconcile clinic cash collections and credit card transactions daily according to specified clinic standards.
- Ensure completeness of visit information including type of visit reason for service, charge for service and diagnostic codes for processing professional and facility charges.
- Participate in creating efficient patient flow coordinating with nursing/medical assistant staff and faculty.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- 0-2 years of experience required for the Assistant level.
- 2-3 years of experience required for the Associate level.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work well within a team setting.
- Communicates effectively.
- Demonstrates active listening, written, verbal and information technology skills.
- Experience working within a large, complex health care setting.
- Familiarity with UMHS electronic medical record systems.
- Knowledge of University of Michigan Health System policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology.
- Day Shift: Monday-Friday
- Ability to flex time between 8:00am-5:00pm
The Plastic Surgery Clinic is located in Dominos Farms, Ann Arbor, MI.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.