How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Patient Services Intermediate is the primary point of contact for new patients and providers referring patients to the Rogel Cancer Center Mohs Clinic. Ensuring a Patient and Family centered experience according to the Health System Service Excellence Goals is a priority to the care of our patients. The individual chosen will be responsible for meeting the highest standards of customer service including, exhibiting a professional and positive image when interacting with patients, faculty and staff.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Manages two aspect service assignments Melanoma/Mohs for scheduling patient appointments including phone screening or consultation, surgery, post-operative visits, and coordinating with other services as necessary for Mohs and Melanoma clinics.
- Obtain all information for consult/phone screen, including, pathology report, pathology slides, photograph of site to be treated, obtain signed release of information when necessary, clinic notes, operative notes, outside images and load into Lifeimage for UofM review. Managing patient information (pathology report, photos for site identification) from clinic email and fax server, moving into patient chart.
- Managing referrals for Melanoma/Mohs from inbasket, workqueue, scheduling appointments as indicated in referral from internal and outside referring physicians.
- Obtain and verify patient registration demographic information and insurance coverage, update as needed.
- Screen, route and respond to phone inquiries from patients, physicians, nursing staff, referring offices.
- Assist and support clinic operations in the Cutaneous Surgery and Oncology Unit by providing patients with appropriate information for patient appointments, scheduling, billing and charges.
- Coordinates patient surgery appointments between Mohs and Otolaryngology/Facial Plastics/Opthalmology/VA and other services as needed.
- Schedules consultation appointments into template of other supporting services, Otolaryngology/Facial Plastics.
- Coordinates same day Melanoma appointments with Otolaryngology, Surgical Oncology, Endo. Oncology.
- Greet patients arriving for clinic visits, verify appointment status and process visit paperwork, only when covering check in/out PSA.
- Collect payments, co-pays and past due balances at patient check out using established department guidelines. Reconcile clinic cash collections and credit card transactions daily according to department guidelines, only when covering check in/out PSA.
- Participate in creating efficient patient flow coordinating with nursing and faculty.
- Additional projects and duties assigned by supervisor or unit director.1
- Assists, enterprises, facilitates and innovates through ideas in identifying, improving and resolving operational issues and assists in training new staff members in a proactive fashion.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- 3 – 4 years of customer service experience.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology.
- Financial counseling experience for healthcare patients.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work well within a team setting.
- Communicates effectively.
- Demonstrates active listening, written, verbal and information technology skills.
- Prior experience performing complex scheduling.
- Familiarity with obtaining medical records or professional medical billing.
- Experience working within a large, complex health care setting.
- Familiarity with MM electronic medical record systems.
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures.
Rogel Cancer Center - Mohs Clinic
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.