How to Apply
The administrative assistant senior serves as administrative support to the Assistant Vice Provost and Executive Director of Financial Aid, and leadership team. This position anticipates conflicts, understands priorities, schedules appointments/meetings, prepares materials for high-profile meetings, and assists AVP/EDFA in maintaining cross-campus relationships with partners through strong customer service and project completion. The ideal candidate will be able to assist with development of presentations, virtual meeting logistics (Zoom), documentation and coordination of new processes. This position also supports human resources and facility needs with functional direction from the Directors of Budget and Finance, and Human Resources in the Office of Enrollment Management.
This role is a key position within the department, providing support to the leadership team amidst continuously changing federal aid regulations. This position is vital to maintaining operations as the leadership team navigates daily work and explores new opportunities to leverage financial aid. Exercising a high level of initiative and organizational skills, with an ability to handle a variety of tasks with accuracy are key characteristics of a successful candidate.
This position reports directly to the Assistant Vice Provost for Enrollment Management and Executive Director of Financial Aid.
Who We Are
Headed by the Interim Vice Provost for Enrollment Management, the Office of Enrollment Management provides campus-wide leadership in executing the strategic recruitment, admission, enrollment, records management and student financial support functions for the university. OEM is committed to envisioning, creating, and sustaining an effort that will lead to the optimal academic, student, and staff experience through the development and implementation of data-driven strategies, collaborative partnerships, and sustained investments in technological resources and a talented and capable workforce. Our reporting units work strategically with the schools and colleges, leveraging expertise and best practices across the Offices of Admissions, New Student Programs, Financial Aid, and the Registrar.
OEM is committed to pursuing deliberate efforts to ensure that our campus is a place where differences are welcomed, different perspectives are respectfully heard and where every individual feels a sense of belonging and inclusion. We know that by building a critical mass of diverse groups on campus including staff, students and creating a vibrant climate of inclusiveness, we can more effectively leverage the resources of diversity to advance our collective capabilities.
For more information about OEM including our diversity, equity and inclusion strategic plan visit the Enrollment Management website.
40% Administrative support
- Provides administrative support to Executive Director of Financial Aid and the financial aid leadership team. Anticipates conflicts, schedules appointments and meetings including the preparation of materials and high-profile meetings (e.g. appeals). Assists with documentation and coordination of new processes.
- Responds to general correspondence on behalf of the Director; handles calls for the Director in their absence. Initiates and prepares routine correspondence.
- Reviews, handles and distributes incoming and outgoing mail. Maintains and organizes the Director’s paperwork and files as necessary.
- Manages supply inventory and orders office supplies. Maintains office/computer equipment (printers, copiers, etc.). Initiates tasks to resolve maintenance issues. May serve as facilities assistant.
40% Travel coordination, procurement and reconciliation
- Coordinates travel arrangements for Director and all staff attending conferences and training workshops. Prepares, reviews and reconciles travel and expense reports.
- Arranges university fleet vehicles for outreach staff and conference travel as appropriate.
- Manages procurement card inventory for department and monitors expenditures on a monthly basis
- Assists Director with procurement card reconciliation as needed.
- Reconciles the department Statement of Accounts.
10% Human resources support
- Processes student and temporary appointment hires, terminations and other HR transactions. Consults with OEM HR Generalist as necessary.
- May schedules interviews, develop candidate packets and greet candidates throughout interview process.
- Assists with new employee (regular and temporary) onboarding for department - review Form I-9, arranges for phone/computer equipment setup and may request appropriate access by position.
- Assists with temporary and student employee offboarding – processes temporary employee termination transaction with OEM HR approval and requests access removal.
10% Manages and/or performs specials projects
- Assists Director with scheduling and coordination details of staff engagement events, meetings and off-site conferences.
- Receives subpoenas and refers them to the Office of General Counsel.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Considerable customer service experience and demonstrated knowledge in appropriately handling confidential and sensitive information.
- Progressively responsible professional experience including administrative support.
- Possesses a flexible, customer service-oriented, problem-solving attitude and a willingness to work successfully in a team environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills with a strong knowledge of Microsoft Office products and Google applications.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse work styles and with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to exercise good judgment in handling complex, confidential matters.
- Proven experience working with multiple stakeholders at all levels with demonstrated exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Must be self-directed; pay high attention to detail with superior organizational skills.
- Previous experience working in an academic or student services environment.
- Experience with University of Michigan HR and Financial policies, procedures and systems including but not limited to the M-Pathways Financials, Human Resources Management System and Business Objects.
Primary work schedule is Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. however, must be able to flex schedule as necessary.
Primary job responsibilities are detailed above with acknowledgement that some duties have temporarily shifted due to the global pandemic and current University restrictions.
Please note, there is a need for the selected candidates to secure reliable internet access/wifi due to the current remote work arrangement. This position is traditionally expected to work on-campus, and new hires may be expected to work within the office following public health and University guidelines.
Benefits at the University of Michigan
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Generous time off
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.