Why Join the Department of Social Work Guest Assistance Program?
As a member of this team, you will play a vital role in ensuring that we deliver optimal customer service to all patients and families. As a member of the department’s Guest Assistance Program, you will support social workers in delivering professional social work services to our most vulnerable patient populations. You will have the opportunity to positively impact the experience of patients and families daily, helping them as they navigate their healthcare journey.
The Department of Social Work strives to foster an environment of respect, diversity and inclusion; a place where every person feels valued and can thrive.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
You will be responsible for:
- Answering incoming phone calls for the Guest Assistance Program main office during regular business hours
- Providing general information on social work services and programs to callers, appropriately triaging needs to social workers
- Providing de-escalation to callers in distress and connection to immediate assistance
- Access the electronic medical record and Social Work databases for appropriate tracking of assistance and services
- Greet all walk-in guests who are seeking social work assistance, determine and assist with needs, provide education as needed on various social work programs and services
- Assist patients and guests with general way-finding, provide general information and guidance for common Michigan Medicine departments and programs
- Requesting and managing an average of 100 meals and lodging benefit authorizations per week through multiple State of Michigan managed care insurance plans, as well as Medicaid, for inpatient and outpatient needs in our pediatric patient population
- High school graduate or an equivalent and at least two years of relevant experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with a strong customer service focus
- Excellent organizational, multi-tasking skills and ability to work independently and regularly exercise judgment in setting priorities
- Ability to compose and produce professional correspondence
- Proficiency with Word, Excel, Power Point and Access Databases
- Basic email and calendaring system skills
- Comfortable interacting with patients and families in distress
This is a temporary, full time, 40 hour/week position. The typical schedule is Monday-Friday with start and end times of 8:30-5:00.
This position will work in the Guest Assistance Program main office located within University Hospital, 1500 E. Medical Center Dr., Ann Arbor, MI 48109.
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidate upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.