Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- Retirement Savings Opportunities
The Medical Technologist performs a variety of routine or specialized tests and procedures for use by physicians in diagnosis and treatment of patients.
Effective member of the Histocompatibility and Flow Cytometry (Hematopathology) Laboratory Regular duties include:
- Use appropriate PPE
- Maintain patient confidentiality and safety
- Report all injuries or accidents at Michigan Medicine to management
- Dispose of biohazard material in designated manner
- Wear ID badge at all times
- Be up to date on emails, MLearning and Master control tasks
- Appropriately document cases of incorrect results using Patient Safety Reports
- Keep work area appropriately stocked with supplies
- Instrument maintenance and troubleshooting and appropriate documentation
- Maintain turnaround times
- Respond to TempTrack appropriately.
- Be prepared to work in your assigned area and know your duties.
- Be responsible to manage PTO and TOA
- Complete online payroll by due dates
- Complete assigned proficiency testing and competency assessments on time and successfully
- Participate in Kaizens for continuous improvement processes.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Process patient specimens accurately and efficiently.
- Utilize lab protocols, experience and knowledge base in decision making.
- Performs routine Histocompatibility laboratory testing such as DNA extraction, SSOP, Sanger sequencing, next generation sequencing, crossmatch testing, serology testing.
- Analyze samples on flow cytometers.
- Attempt instrument troubleshooting and request help from senior staff when needed.
- Perform routine instrument maintenance
- Attempt instrument troubleshooting using lab resources and assistance from vendor technical service or request help from senior staff when needed.
- Appropriately notify senior staff of issues or errors that require their attention.
- Utilize free time effectively.
- Perform miscellaneous tests as needed.
- Perform administrative tasks as needed.
- Demonstrate that quality is a priority.
In order to be considered for this position the applicant must have met or will have met all the required qualifications prior to the start date of employment.
- Baccalaureate degree in Medical Laboratory Science, equivalent laboratory science, or in a chemical, physical or biological science
- Certification as a Medical Laboratory Scientist MLS (ASCP) or Medical Technologist or MT(AMT) or specialty certification at the time of hire is required
- Specialized laboratories may accept a Bachelor’s degree in a biological science with certification eligibility specific to that laboratory.
- Must have a minimum of 2 years (post-training), clinical experience relevant to the position
- Demonstrated ability to perform the duties of an MT at a high level of expertise and the ability to perform the assigned work while still maintaining patient care responsibilities
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and effectively with other medical personnel in both verbal and written form; demonstrated ability to independently organize and prioritize work, and to exercise initiative in recognizing and solving problems. Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a diverse team
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Works with infectious disease and/or hazardous materials.
- May have exposure to noise from laboratory equipment and pneumatic tube system.
- Participate in a rotating weekend, holiday and on call work schedule.
- Requires frequent (standing/walking/sitting/hand pipetting) for long periods of time and the ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
- Experience in a diagnostic Histocompatibility laboratory
- Experience with HistoTrak, Fusion, NGS softwares.
- Experience with next generation sequencing, real-time (qPCR), and flow cytometry.
- Experience in leukemia/lymphoma immunopheotyping, including experience with Beckman Coutler Gallios and/or Becton Dickinson FacsLyric flow cytometers.
- Evidence of excellent communication, process improvement, change management, and team building skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint etc.
This full time, 40 hour position is on the day shift and will require rotating with other staff for weekend and holiday on-call coverage.
This position is located in Pathology at NCRC, 2800 Plymouth Rd, Ann Arbor.
$3000 signing bonus available.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.