The University of Michigan-Dearborn seeks an Administrative Specialist to provide project and administrative support for the Facilities Operations team. This position requires a commitment to quality work, independent judgment to manage multiple tasks, a pledge to service excellence, significant flexibility, and a positive, team-based approach to problem-solving.
Create and update department standard operating procedures. Develop appropriate forms and approval processes. Train department and campus department staff on policies, procedures, forms, and requirements.
Coordinate moves for campus faculty and staff. Work with campus customers to assist University Interior Designer with selection of furniture and furnishings, in accordance with campus standards. Coordinate ITS service installations related to occupant moves.
Develop, implement, and maintain spreadsheets and databases as needed for the department. Create advanced macros to consolidate large amounts of data into meaningful reports. Develop reports from databases. Train department team members on spreadsheet and database use.
Maintain tracking systems including creating, maintaining and updating multiple electronic and paper project files. Create and maintain complex Excel spreadsheets utilizing advanced functions, pivot tables, and macros. Initiate, compose/draft, and edit correspondence, reports (including ad-hoc reports), meeting minutes, presentations, speeches, etc. assuring quality, consistency, and clarity.
Update and maintain the Facilities Operations websites. Become proficient with the AiM work order system and use of radio communications system.
Assist with other department administrative tasks, as needed.
- Facilitate project communications and record meeting minutes;
- Organize and maintain electronic records, document archives, extensive project files, and product library;
- Work with vendors and contractors to obtain quotes, process orders, schedule deliveries, and monitor installation of furniture, signage, and furnishings;
- Order office supplies, assist with printer and copier needs;
- Work with vendors and property disposition to recycle or redistribute damaged or excess physical property.
- Compile departmental newsletter.
Work independently, using computers and peripherals with advanced knowledge of industry-standard software applications to:
- Process orders on M-Market site;
- Create and maintain spreadsheets and databases;
- Generate professional-quality presentations, reports, and documents;
- Produce and manipulate digital images;
- Interpret information from CAD documents and/or key plans;
Provide administrative support to the Executive Director for Facilities Operations. This includes: calendar and telephone support, travel support, processing monthly expense reports, meeting/event planning, and meeting minutes.
Required qualifications include high school graduation, 5+ years of responsible administrative experience, expert knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel, and strong organizational and interpersonal communication skills. The candidate for this position must have the ability to multitask, take direction, expect ongoing organizational change, and make innovative contributions in a friendly team atmosphere. The Administrative Specialist must be a self-starter who is able to communicate effectively with faculty, students and staff, to work independently and as part of a team, to effectively resolve problems, and to maintain a professional demeanor at all times.
Desired qualifications include a college degree, experience working in a facilities-related environment, and reasonable knowledge of construction and maintenance terminology.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.