Manage and evaluate the activities/day-to-day operations of the Primary Care Call Center. This call center is being developed with inclusion of Primary Care Specialties across the network: Family Medicine, General Medicine, General Pediatrics, Geriatrics, and Medicine/Pediatrics. Independently manage a team of approximately 50 Call Center Representatives. Responsible for hiring, salary setting, salary changes, performance coaching, planning and evaluation, disciplinary actions, firing, training, completion of annual performance evaluations, and development of all subordinate staff. Supports a busy clinical practice by overseeing the scheduling of Primary Care patients across Michigan Medicine. Evaluate and coordinate workflow/activities to achieve expectations, monitor call center data and manage Ambulatory Care goals for new patient access, service level, abandonment rate, etc. Intercede on incoming telephone calls with difficult customers and/or calls requiring in-depth knowledge of the organization's products/services. Monitor calls/activities as necessary to ensure that performance standards are being met. Assign, monitor, and review progress and accuracy of work, direct efforts and provide technical guidance on more complex issues.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Provide direct management to approximately 50 Call Center Representatives.
- Provide coaching, mentorship and development opportunities to the Call Center Representatives.
- Assist in the identification and resolution of operating problems related to call centering, scheduling, and process implementation.
- Conduct formal on-the-job and ongoing training for call center and new patient intake staff; create a staffing plan conducive to meeting training needs.
- Approve time off/vacation requests & create coverage plans for the for Call Center Representatives.
- Approve payroll time for all staff.
- Work with the Call Center Representatives to update and maintain call center training material.
- Work in partnership with ACU (Ambulatory Care Unit) Administrative, Nursing and Medical Director Leaders, Faculty, and clinicians on New Patient Access Measures.
- Monitor phone calls for accuracy and quality assurance and provide feedback, coaching, and mentoring.
- Complete annual performance reviews.
- Act as liaison between call center staff and others within the clinic or ACU. Work directly with faculty, APPs, and nursing staff to resolve scheduling and call center issues.
- Demonstrate excellent work ethic and customer service, acting as a role model in all areas of call center operations.
- Collect and generate phone & new patient access stat data. Report and share with leadership and call center staff on a weekly basis; utilizing data to assist in recognition, coaching, mentoring, and goal setting.
- Help to oversee and monitor day-to-day call center operations and processes for customer satisfaction, efficiency, and target achievements: 80% service level, 80% new patient access within two weeks, 5% or less abandonment rate.
- Communicate with all staff at weekly/monthly meetings to reach department goals, resolve issues and institutional priorities or changes.
- Foster positive communication among all staff.
- Lead the staff in the ongoing Lean in Daily Work Model quality improvement initiatives, working to make continuous improvement to call center value metrics (new patient access and service level).
- Work with staff to consistently generate Everyday Lean Ideas, hold daily huddles and develop process improvements.
- Maintain administrative confidentiality in all matters.
- Oversee all physician and APP schedules to ensure that all available slots are full. Work with team to move patients into available slots when needed. Identify problems with scheduling projection and work to resolve.
- Communicate with management/leadership team if unable to fill physician schedules or other issues that need to escalated.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of three years’ experience working in a Michigan Medicine call center and/or in an ambulatory care call center or patient access setting
- A minimum of two years’ experience scheduling outpatient clinic appointments
- Previous supervisory experience required
- Demonstrated competence in leadership and supervision
- Demonstrated excellence in customer service delivery
- Demonstrated record of excellent attendance
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to manage stress effectively
- Able to handle multiple responsibilities in a very busy setting.
- Ability to exhibit professional and positive image when interacting with patients, faculty, and staff.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience utilizing call center software, such as Aspect or Cisco.
- Experience managing a remote workforce
- Familiarity with Michigan Medicine MiChart electronic medical record systems is preferred.
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.