How to Apply
In addition to completing the online application, upload your resume highlighting both on and off campus involvement and a cover letter answering the following questions:
- Why are you interested in becoming an Orientation Leader?
- ?Do you have any memories from your Orientation? If you did not attend an Orientation session, what do you think would make a great virtual Orientation??
- What does being a member of the University of Michigan-Dearborn community mean to you?
- ?What do you feel are a few of the biggest challenges for freshman and transfer students entering a college or university??
- What is your preferred date/time for a group interview? Choose either Tuesday, February 9, 2020 from 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm or Thursday, February 11, 2020 from 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm.
Please limit each response to 250 words or less. Failure to receive this supporting document by the deadline will result in the automatic removal of your application from the selection process.
An Orientation Leader (OL) conveys information to new students and their families about programs and services at the University of Michigan-Dearborn through our virtual orientation program. The OL assists with all virtual orientation events and plays a vital role in assisting students in the adjustment to the campus and community. The OL position is an outstanding opportunity for any student interested in gaining leadership skills and enhancing his/her marketability for future employment opportunities.
Assist with the implementation and execution of Orientation programs, including Freshman, Transfer, Parent, and other events as needed
Lead virtual group discussions and icebreaker activities for groups of incoming students
Provide support to academic units and departments during Orientation
Explain UM-Dearborn academics and student engagement opportunities
Guide incoming students on a virtual campus tour
Aid students with the online registration process
Assist with management of Zoom room and breakout sessions
Perform extra duties as needed
Must be currently enrolled as an undergraduate degree-seeking student at UM-Dearborn for Winter 2021 and Fall 2021 semesters
Must have and maintain a UM-Dearborn GPA of 2.50
Good communication skills (verbal and written)
Positive attitude and work ethic
Willingness to learn Zoom and online platforms used for orientation programming
Desire to work with students, faculty, family, and staff
Lack of judicial or honors offenses and be in full compliance of Student Code of Conduct
Problem solving abilities
Sensitivity to diversity in all forms
Flexibility in work schedule
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.