How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Information and Technology Services (ITS) is looking for an Research Cloud Solutions Designer Intermediate to join the Advanced Research Computing Technology Services within ITS.
The role will be responsible for designing, building, operating, and supporting secure enclaves for sensitive data research. The successful candidate will be able to create software defined solutions for data analytics, restricted data research and other cases that can benefit from enclave technology. They will also be able to integrate existing institutional Windows and Linux support resources into automated recipes for secure enclaves. This position will act as a technical resource as part of a team that will continue to design and operate our private cloud infrastructure. The successful candidate will have the ability to act on specific project initiatives and provide expertise, guidance, and strong collaboration to various team members. This role will be dynamic, to meet the changing requirements for building and supporting new and innovative systems to meet faculty needs. This position reports to the Research Computing Manager.
Who We Are
ITS supports U-M faculty, researchers, staff, and students in their use of technology to teach, learn, research, and work, and be leaders in their fields. We are dedicated to creating cohesive digital experiences and enabling university wide innovations by:
- Elevating the customer experience by providing proactive, laser focused customer service
- Providing appropriate IT security and privacy in an open university society, while enabling innovation
- Supporting data-informed decision making
- Delivering intuitive research computing solutions
- Building a world-class, transformational network and reliable administrative systems
In addition, we value those that proactively solve challenges, work with a sense of urgency, and seek a collaborative and inclusive work environment.
ITS’s mission is to be trusted enablers of technology for the U-M community. ITS works together to provide cohesive digital experiences and seamless support to the U-M community. To learn more, visit: its.umich.edu.
Who You Are
You are energized by working with a collaborative team and industry peers to support the university mission through innovative and appropriate use of technology. You seek understanding and to tackle projects and problems with your customers’ needs in mind. You anticipate problems and work proactively to preempt challenges and concerns, delivering increasingly relevant customer experiences over time. You value a culture that is rooted in mutual respect, where you can learn from different perspectives, roles, and identities.
You have at least 2 years of Windows and Linux Server or Desktop deployments using tools like Windows SCCM, preconfig or kickstart, Creating and Maintaining Group Policy Objects, Working with Active Directory objects in a shared environment.
- Build, update, modify, and support Windows Virtual Desktops and Servers in the Yottabyte Research Cloud Service using cloud-init and other accepted Microsoft support tools
- Build, update, modify, and support Linux Virtual Desktops and Servers in the Yottabyte Research Cloud Service using Ansible
- Install and update researcher software on request for any of the supported Virtual Desktops and Servers on the service
- Design, build, update, and support a repeatable process for creating new Virtual Desktops and Servers for both Linux and Windows with data security in the forefront
- Update and support an automated, repeatable process for deploying the enclave infrastructure for new faculty enclaves in conjunction with the YBRC Service Manager
- Responsible for reviewing security scans for YBRC networks and remediating any issues listed in the scans
- Meeting with faculty to find appropriate solutions for their research problems in the secure enclave service
- Develop and maintain professional relationships both with other ARC-TS members and affiliates to advance and support computational research around the University
- Acts as a representative of ARC-TS in relevant campus groups, forums, communities, and discussions. Provide updates and advice to team on relevant initiatives, staying abreast of the latest application technology trends in scientific hardware and environments
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum of two (2) years experience in a related role requiring confidentiality, timeliness, customer service, organization, prioritization, troubleshooting, analysis, problem solving, and ability to work independently
- Strong understanding of Windows Desktop and Server deployments, including VDI, Windows SCCM, Creating and Maintaining Group Policy Objects, Working with Active Directory objects in a shared environment
- Strong understanding of Linux Desktop and Server deployments, including Kickstart/Preconfig, and Ansible or other automated deployment mechanism
- Familiarity with operating environments with sensitive, and/or regulated data, including CUI, FERPA, HIPAA, and others
- Experience with networking concepts like network-based firewalls, NAT and subnetting in a virtual environment
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated experience in creatively improving workflows and processes, using analytic & troubleshooting skills
- Ability to manage priorities in face of multiple requests and projects
- Ability to self direct as well as participate in a larger distributed support structure
- Willingness to work in a multi-OS environment including Linux, Windows, and potentially others
- Demonstrated effective creative problem solving and flexibility when collaborating with customers, team members support teams, external vendors, and technical organizations to understand, advocate for, evaluate, and support enhancements, resulting in plans and services that leverage the capabilities of existing technology and meet customer and organizational expectations
- Demonstrated effective verbal communication skills including strong interpersonal skills with an ability to work effectively through all levels of management and matrix organizations
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with internal and external customers in a manner that consistently meets the organization’s expectations for exemplary customer service
- Excellent organizational, analytical and independent problem-solving skills
- Ability to influence others in the building and maintaining consensual approach with a wide array of diverse business interests
- Familiarity with OpenStack, CloudStack, VMWare, or other private cloud offering
- Advanced degree in an engineering or science related field
- Understanding of Cloud-Init and common design patterns for deploying applications in clouds
- Experience with Software defined networking (SDN)
- Understanding of Docker containers or Kubernetes
- Familiarity with Azure or AWS APIs
- Experience providing IT support in an academic environment
This position will be filled at the Intermediate level salary range of $65,000 - $75,000 as the primary goal. The requirements listed below reflect the Intermediate level expectations. However, applicants with lesser experience are encouraged to apply and may be considered if the primary goal is not met. Lesser experienced candidates will be reviewed at an Associate level salary range of $47,476 - $59,000.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
Normal amount of sitting, average mobility to move around an office environment; able to conduct normal amount of work at a computer; travel to various locations on and off campus. Punctual, regular, and consistent attendance is required. May require on-call availability and may require working during non-business hours and on weekends.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.