How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Staff Lawyer position serves as a subject area expert for planning, creating, marketing, and maintaining legal content, events and education in response to legal developments and the needs of the legal community. Must be able to work individually and in teams. Responsible for developing networks of legal experts as volunteer contributors and applying best practices to create educational online and live content. Must be able to conduct in-depth legal research and draft or edit accurate and practical legal resources. Must participate in online communities and social media channels.
- Employees in this classification typically analyze, compare, and evaluate various courses of action and have the authority to make independent decisions on matters of significance, free from immediate direction, within the scope of their responsibilities.
- Primary activities and decision-making authority are predominantly performed independently, affecting business operations to a substantial degree
45% - Plan, develop, and implement new content and educational offerings:
- Based on ICLE’s strategic plan, content plan, and quality standards, develops an extensive set of subject area legal resources or events. Includes creating, posting, and updating frequent short content pieces in ICLE’s online communities and other social media outlets as assigned
- Conduct in-depth legal research and plan, draft, and/or edit accurate and practical legal resources or events, as assigned
- Plan and oversee educational materials and events for lawyers and related professionals as assigned. This may include video modules, interactive activities, exercises, and scenarios for self-testing educational content. Develop educational objectives and guide contributors in using instructional design principles to develop the legal content and education.
- Work collaboratively with other ICLE staff attorneys, contributors, and other ICLE staff to plan, develop, and execute interactive education and/or online content that matches customer needs.
30% - Serve as subject area specialist for the creation and development of legal education content and services:
- Demonstrate expertise and ability to keep current on legal development and practice updates in assigned subject areas.
- Cultivate and nurture relationships in assigned subject areas with an extensive network of lawyers, contributors, ICLE customers, online communities and networks, and State Bar Section leaders.
- Regularly attend State Bar section and other professional meetings and share information from the meetings with other ICLE staff.
- Actively participate in ICLE online communities and other social media groups relevant to assigned subject areas. Promote ICLE’s brand by drafting comments, raising questions, and recommending information as appropriate.
- Conduct customer needs assessments in assigned subject areas, including gathering and analyzing feedback via surveys, social media networks, ICLE communities, focus groups, and customer interviews.
- Propose new products, events and services to meet customer needs.
- Actively participate in periodic team planning sessions and retreats to propose additions and improvements to ICLE’s content plan.
10% - Meet defined ICLE business goals and strategic plans:
- Develop and maintain effective recruitment and working relationships with volunteer contributors as well as subject matter experts
- Actively work toward the achievement of recruiting objectives and initiatives that meet ICLE’s goal of greater diversity across volunteer contributors and customers
- Identify primary target audiences for content and develop effective marketing messages
- Meet marketing, customer and contributor goals
- Actively participate in monitoring and meeting revenue and expense goals for assigned projects, events and product lines
10% - Actively participate in ICLE teams and project groups:
- Be an active and engaged participant in ICLE teams and project groups to achieve process improvements and implement initiatives within ICLE’s strategic plan
5% - Other duties as assigned
- Juris Doctorate degree; graduated in top third of law school class
- Membership in the Michigan State Bar Association (licensed to practice law)
- Demonstrated ability to build positive working relationships with customers, contributors, and co-workers
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Ability to organize legal material
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects
- Skilled in networking and the use of social media accounts
- Ability to solve problems and propose solutions
- Proficiency in use of spreadsheets and word processing software
- Able to travel to seminar and meeting locations in Michigan. Some evening and weekend meetings
- Able to successfully complete a work sample administered by ICLE
- 3-5 years of law practice experience. Experience in Family and Business Law preferred.
- 3-5 years of law practice experience. Experience in Criminal law, No Fault, Real Property or Civil Litigation preferred.
For Both Positions:
- Demonstrated ability to apply best practices for instructional design to educational materials
- Past teaching experience a plus
- Project management or related experience preferred
For Position Two:
- Experience planning seminars and online training helpful
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.