How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The College of Engineering and Computer Science (CECS) at the University of Michigan - Dearborn has an exciting opportunity for an IT Operations and Development Specialist Senior. This position is a cross-functional position with both operations and development support and is responsible for performing a broad range of IT build/support activities to support the technical environment. Work assignments include supporting research activities within the college, hardware and software recommendations and integrations, infrastructure and solution design/implementation activities related to SCCM, Windows desktop deployments, desktop/application virtualization, Active Directory, Group Policy, and workflow automation.
This position leads efforts and projects by coordinating with team members, other technical staff, software vendors and customers to effectively meet service design/implementation requests, resolve customer incidents/requests, handle escalations, and to make continuous improvements to meet business needs. The successful candidate will have the ability to lead specific project initiatives and provide expertise, guidance, and strong collaboration to various team members and customers in a distributed computing environment serving multiple organizations.
The qualified individual will demonstrate the ability to provide excellent customer services to all constituencies and may require working during non-business hours and/or weekends. This position will report to the CECS Director of Facilities and Laboratory Safety and ITS Operations Manager and is responsible for providing support in a multifaceted distributed computing environment across the College of Engineering and Computer Science.
As the IT Operations and Development Specialist Senior for the for CECS at the UM-Dearborn campus, this position's key responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
PRODUCTION SUPPORT (50%)
- Acts as lead technical resource on a team to build, maintain, and update, enterprise operations for the IT, Printing, and Audio-Visual infrastructure. This includes the ability to evaluate, configure, automate, test, and deploy software and hardware. Work with third party technologies to enhance deployment infrastructure, develop scripts and tools specific to scale technology to meet demand. Develops, maintains and analyzes software packaging, and deployment procedures, audits and best practices. Configures and maintains servers, server applications and systems used for the support and management of the CECS technical environment. Coordinates and performs mass deployments.
- Performs Active Directory management functions including organizational unit maintenance and support along with account, group, and group policy management and troubleshooting.
- Leads in efforts to design, maintain and support customer/institutional data through disk encryption management, network storage, desktop backup, and security permissions.
- Acts as a representative of CECS in relevant campus groups, forums, communities, and discussions. Provide updates and advice to the team on relevant initiatives.
- Demonstrates quality service and accountability in the process of resolving incidents/requests, and supporting daily operations that results in accurate, timely, and efficient solutions and data as evidenced by meeting customer needs and meeting or exceeding established performance metrics.
- Collaborate, utilize analytical, and communication skills to work with all team members, support staff, and customers to ensure incidents, problems, and changes are fully communicated and align appropriately to support root cause analysis, knowledge sharing, resolution that will deliver quality services of the IT solution.
- Create, modify, and update written procedures, processes, and technical support knowledge effectively. Content may need to be tailored to the level and type of audience.
- Support research spaces and specialized teaching labs within CECS.
SERVICE IMPROVEMENTS (25%)
- Leads research and evaluation of new enterprise technologies, processes, upgrades to enhancements by identifying when established procedures are not working and there are gaps in processes and makes recommendations for improvements.
- Makes decisions to escalate to vendors and lead calls to file bug reports and resolve technical issues; develops automation workflows, responds to recommendations and remediation requests and participates in process improvement initiatives.
- Utilizes analytical and communication skills in the development and modification of written procedures, processes, and technical support knowledge base, resulting in content tailored to the level and type of audience for support and issue resolution. Assigns documentation responsibilities and activities.
- Demonstrates relationship building and effective communication skills through active listening, sharing ideas, and frequent communication with co-workers, vendors, and other technical staff members resulting in recommendations and development of administration best practices and procedures shared and used by team members.
PROJECT MANAGEMENT (20%)
- Leads and coordinates overall projects of desktop deployment, active directory, group policy tasks and manages the execution of these tasks including handing off work to appropriate team members, ensuring work is completed timely for projects to progress.
- Leads implementation plans and timelines of projects, providing status reports, exchanging relevant information with management and project teams, and meeting timelines. Provides accurate time estimates for tasks, identifies impacted teams, and notifies management of potential risks and issues.
DEVELOPMENT OF SELF AND OTHERS (5%)
- Stays current with relevant advances in technologies. Responsible for maintaining and updating knowledge of IT policies and procedures, hardware, software, and technical services. This can include on-the-job training, attending technical courses or conferences, reading, research, and testing.
- Demonstrates skill development by actively participating in growth opportunities for continuous development and improvement and applying new skills/knowledge to the job as evident by the ability to efficiently and effectively perform assigned duties, resulting in meeting or exceeding customer expectations and performance metrics.
- Effectively utilizes analytical and creative problem solving skills, interpersonal and communication skills, along with standard processes and methodologies, as evident by successful implementation of projects (including upgrades) resulting in effective collaboration across the organization, and project completion that meets requirements and quality expectations and is on time.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field, or equivalent combination of education, certification, and experience.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in IT working in a large scale enterprise environment, working independently to successfully install, configure, maintain, and support operating systems and layered software requiring ability to maintain confidentiality, timeliness, customer service, organization, prioritization, and troubleshooting.
- Knowledge of some or all of the following technologies: Windows 7/8/10, Windows Server 2012/2016/2019, SCCM, Group Policy, NTFS Permissions, PowerShell, scripted installs and removals, Registry, Command line, System Management Tools, Microsoft User State Migration Tool (USMT).
- Experience packaging software for attended/unattended deployment in a managed environment including preparing .exe/.msi installations for redistribution, re-packaging vendor provided installers, customizing system and users’ settings, creating uninstall scripts, and active setup components.
- Ability to leverage appropriate technical tools with direction to perform day-to-day administration tasks, root-cause analysis and service restoration (such as backup, restore, failover, log interpretation, and performance monitoring) for Windows platforms/systems.
- Proven ability to work as part of a team to meet customer expectations.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.