How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Information and Technology Services (ITS) organization is seeking a motivated and creative communicator to join its Marketing Communications team. The successful candidate will closely collaborate with ITS teams, university communication professionals, and subject matter experts to support marketing and communications projects and initiatives across ITS. The successful candidate must be self-motivated, flexible, and able to easily adapt to changing needs.
The Communications Specialist will support campus outreach, internal communications, and operational communications including support of targeted email and social media, as well as other ITS projects and services. This position will also contribute to creative marketing campaigns, script-writing/video story-boarding, and the planning and hosting of successful campus outreach events. Individuals in this role complete duties and responsibilities under the guidance and direction of senior personnel and management, including developing, writing, and editing original work products for online and print publications that adhere to U-M and organizational formats, style, language, and branding standards. This position will report to the Assistant Director of Communications.
WHO WE ARE
ITS supports U-M faculty, researchers, staff, and students in their use of technology to teach, learn, research, and work, and be leaders in their fields. We are dedicated to creating cohesive digital experiences and enabling university wide innovations by:
- Elevating the customer experience by providing proactive, laser focused customer service
- Providing appropriate IT security and privacy in an open university society, while enabling innovation
- Supporting data-informed decision making
- Delivering intuitive research computing solutions
- Building a world-class, transformational network and reliable administrative systems
In addition, we value those that proactively solve challenges, work with a sense of urgency, and seek a collaborative and inclusive work environment.
ITS’s mission is to be trusted enablers of technology for the U-M community. ITS works together to provide cohesive digital experiences and seamless support to the U-M community. To learn more, visit: https://its.umich.edu.
What You'll Do
You are energized by working with a collaborative team and industry peers to support the university mission through innovative and appropriate use of technology. You seek understanding and to tackle projects and problems with your customers’ needs in mind. You anticipate problems and work proactively to preempt challenges and concerns, delivering increasingly relevant customer experiences over time. You value a culture that is rooted in mutual respect, where you can learn from different perspectives, roles, and identities.
Starting salary is dependent upon the qualifications and experience. If called for an interview, you will be asked to bring a portfolio of work to include writing, collateral samples, copies of communication approaches and detailed plans you have written.
- Develops original work product, write and edit online and print publications for targeted emails, newsletters, press releases, brochures, presentations, websites, promotional video scripts, and social media. Reviews and edits content to ensure a consistent organizational message and image, and adhere to university and organizational formats, style, language, and logo standards.
- Prepares and delivers targeted emails for ITS audiences using mass email application.
- Plans, coordinates and executes communication and marketing efforts for small to medium projects and initiatives. Supports and/or leads project communications sub-teams for a variety of projects and initiatives.
- Assists in determining communications strategies associated with ITS internal communications, such as News@ITS, Backstage, and ITS’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion plan and production support efforts. Develops and coordinates communications for events such as webcasts, town hall meetings, and presentations.
- Researches and develops a high-level understanding of projects and initiatives and applies knowledge and fundamental concepts, practices and procedures of public relations/communications.
- Proactively addresses and reports issues. Prioritizes the completion of tasks and resolution of issues to continuity of communication deliverables. Provides regular status updates to team and/or management.
- Provides on call/call-back communications support for system performance issues as needed.
- Contribute to creative campaigns/conceptional ideas, bring experience in script-writing/video story-boarding, and contribute to the planning and hosting of campus outreach events.
This position may work with and/or support systems that maintain or process sensitive institutional data as defined by university policy. Successful candidates must comply with federal, state and local law and/or university policies or agreements that require the university to implement specific privacy and security safeguards including, but not limited to: ITAR, EAR, HIPAA and FISMA. Responsible for protecting data and information from unauthorized release or from loss, alteration or unauthorized deletion; and, following applicable regulations and instructions regarding access to computerized files, release of data, etc. as stated in a computer access agreement.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan Benefits Office is committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to support faculty, staff and their families. Learn more about our 2:1 retirement matching, healthcare plans with nationwide coverage including prescription drug coverage, three dental plans, a vision plan, flexible spending account, well-being programs, long-term disability, automatic life insurance, general legal services, three early childhood centers, time away from work and work-life programs to promote balance. Learn more at https://hr.umich.edu/benefits-wellness
- The University of Michigan is ranked the No. 3 public university in the 2020 U.S. News & World Report’s annual report of the nation’s best undergraduate colleges and universities.
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 6 on Kiplinger’s list of Best Values in Public Colleges, again making U-M one of the nation’s best values in higher education for in-state students. The ranking highlights colleges and universities that combine outstanding education with economic value.
- For the third straight year, the University of Michigan maintained its position as the 15th top university in the world, according to the Times Higher Education World Reputation Rankings.
- The University of Michigan maintained its ranking as the top U.S. public university in the QS World University Rankings for 2019-20 and ranked 21st among all institutions on the list, moving down one spot from last year in the ranking released Tuesday, 06/18/2019.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.