How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Academic Applications Team seeks a Business System Analyst Senior to improve and support the diverse applications in use at Michigan Medicine. We are responsible for maintaining a set of integrated applications that enables research and medical student education.
Join colleagues as we transform and improve healthcare outcomes by providing high-quality service and to support medical students in their educational needs. This position includes partnering with faculty, staff, investigators, and study teams to implement application solutions or optimize existing ones, as well as collaborating with other IT groups to ensure that our researchers continue to focus on pushing research boundaries and our medical school faculty/staff continue to focus on delivering a top-notch curriculum to our medical students.
This position requires a dedicated, passionate individual who’s creative, flexible, and experienced in reading between the lines to gather customer needs, recognize and address ambiguities, and is capable of thinking outside the box to resolve technical challenges.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Interacts with faculty, staff, researchers, investigators, and users to collect and document requirements for the system under development, implementation, or upgrade
- Contributes to service enhancement initiatives and efforts, by identifying and quantifying customer requirements, delineating the gaps between customer requirements and the capabilities of existing technology, services, and resources, and recommending proactive improvements
- Conducts analysis of business and user needs; documents functional requirements; identifies and resolves dependency and integration issues across product and service areas
- Develops requirement design documentation for new applications or modifications to existing applications; identifies areas for improvement and makes recommendations for enhancements
- Develops and demonstrates a comprehensive understanding of internal procedures, business processes, and systems within the scope of a functional area
- Provides daily operations and tier-three support for applications. Actively coordinates with team members, service support groups, and vendors to effectively resolve incidents and requests
- Follows procedures and guidelines to solve or escalate incidents and requests. Evaluates problems and determines the priority of responding
- Follows up with customers on incidents and requests. Provides end-user support to encourage product adoption
- Partners with customers in order to elicit, analyze, communicate, and validate requirements for changes to business processes and information systems
Required Qualifications for Senior Level:
- A Bachelor’s degree in information systems or a related field and/or experience in healthcare, or a related field
- 6+ years of related experience in a process area or systems support; business analysis and workflow experience to include systems analysis and design
- Demonstrated ability to learn new software, understand technical information, and communicate it to others using clear, concise, and user-friendly language
- Flexibility to adapt to a changing environment
- Demonstrated skills in business systems analysis, such as requirement gathering, design, and system testing
- Demonstrated skills in representing HITS products and services while serving as a customer advocate
- Demonstrated skills in establishing, building, and maintaining trusted relationships with a varied customer base
- Demonstrated skills in facilitating team meetings and collaborating with customers on the resolution of business process issues
- Ability to communicate with researchers or faculty in their terminology, and then communicate requirements to developers in technical terms
- The ability to lead meetings, prioritize, resolve conflicts, maintain issues lists, manage a project plan, and follow-up as appropriate
Required Qualifications for Intermediate Level:
- A Bachelor’s degree in information systems or a related field and/or a combined experience in healthcare, or related field
- 2-5 years of related experience in a process area or systems support; to include systems analysis and design
- Willingness and a strong aptitude for learning new technologies and assuming responsibilities
- Flexibility to adapt to a changing environment is required
- Ability to quickly learn and apply knowledge from new business domains
- Ability to communicate with researchers or faculty in their terminology, and then communicate requirements to developers in technical terminology
- Experience with ServiceNow, JIRA or another ticketing system
- Experience with Lucid Chart, Visio or other process mapping tool
- Experience with Tableau or another reporting tool
- Experience in project management or leading project teams
- The ability to probe for information about the underlying needs of the organization and user community, which directly influences how the system will be built
- Ability to investigate and resolve project issues in a timely manner
- Ability to understand database structures
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail and a demonstrated competency for working effectively on a team as well as independently
- Demonstrated ability to consistently meet or exceed expectations for exemplary customer service
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.