How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter must include examples of how your past work experience is applicable to this position. The cover letter must also include specific examples of how, in your work experience, you effectively demonstrated at a minimum, the following behaviors and the impact it had within your organization:
- Customer Service and Communication
- Problem Solving
- Critical Thinking Skills
- Initiation of Effective Solutions
The Financial Services & Budget (FSB) Accounting Associate would be responsible for daily, monthly, and annual financial reporting; account reconciliation; journal entries; prepare reports with analysis; assist in yearend closure; support Flint campus departments; contribute to any special projects assigned by the UMF VCBF, Regional Controller, Assistant Division Controller and/or Accounts Receivable Manager; and participate in the Financial Community of Practice career path within FSB. This position would focus on UMF's Student Accounting and Cashier functions.
RECONCILING AND REPORTING
- Reconcile student receivables between Banner student system (Flint) and M Pathways Financial system (For the University).
- Reconcile monthly banner balance to banner detail.
- Reconcile monthly merchant credit card transactions between Banner, Banner balance, the Bank and M Pathways.
- Reconcile monthly web based payments between Banner, Banner balance, Touchnet/Nelnet and M Pathways.
- Meet all established due dates related to month-end reporting.
- Research and resolve any discrepancies.
- Report any un-reconciled items.
- Follow up on un-reconciled items until they are cleared.
- Prepare daily reoccurring journal entries for all Banner transactions.
- Work with cashiers on NSF items to make sure they are processed in a timely manner.
- Process tuition, fees, and financial aid month-end journal entries.
- Prepare monthly Aging Report and tie to month-end Banner and MPathways balances which includes resolving any discrepancies.
- Participate in the year-end process. (Fiscal year-end June 30th).
- Use Microsoft Access and WebFocus to query the student database and pull pertinent data for use in reporting and reconciling.
- Maintain the Banner Financial Aid codes to process scholarships and other financial aid between Banner and MPathways.
- Check for bank exceptions on a daily basis including days when the bank is open but the university is closed.
- Check the bank account for incoming payments and wire transfers to post to student accounts.
- Work with the billing clerks to locate incoming wire transfers or resolve any issues.
- Audit daily journal entries submitted by the cashiers and forward to the General Accounting Office.
- Responsible for the quarterly surprise cash audits.
- Responsible for the Revolving Petty Cash Audits.
- Maintain the bait money logs.
- Set up and maintain the payment plans in Touchnet.
- Research and respond to chargeback notices for credit card transactions.
- Provide credit card transaction information when credit card refunds are requested by other departments.
- Place holds on student accounts in banner as appropriate.
- Work with the K-12 Department as needed.
- Work with Financial Aid department regarding disbursement processes on a daily basis.
- Work with the Housing department as needed.
- Work with the General Accounting department.
- Bachelor Degree in Accounting or Finance.
- Demonstrated ability and experience in financial accounting, reconciling, creating, analyzing, and reporting financial information as evidenced by 0-2 years of work experience.
- Demonstrated awareness and ability to understand Fund Accounting fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to know data base or data warehouse querying software as evidenced by stating knowledge of different systems used resulting in examples of how data is extracted, manipulated, and used in a report.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Products, especially advanced functions in Excel.
- Demonstrated customer service competencies as evidence by the ability to focus on the needs of others resulting in being recognized as a provider of choice.
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal skills as evidence by clear written procedures and/or oral presentations resulting in messages being understood by constituents.
- Demonstrated ability to be a positive influence on the work team as evidenced by an approachable, positive attitude resulting in increased collaboration and support of group initiatives.
- Demonstrated strong organizational skills with attention to detail, ability to problem solve and use critical thinking skills and a self-starter with the ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Knowledge of Fund Accounting concepts, practices, and procedures
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures
- Knowledge of statistical reporting (strong analytical and mathematical skills)
- Experience with MPathways (Peoplesoft), Banner, and Business Objects Querying/Reporting Tool
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.