How to Apply
In addition to your resume, please submit a cover letter that, in one page or less, describes how your skills align with the job responsibilities and how this position aligns with your career goals. The cover letter will be used to assess your written communication skills.
We are looking for a lead researcher and evaluator to provide high-level insights to the ADVANCE Program. The ADVANCE research and evaluation team serves the entire University of Michigan campus through a comprehensive range of research studies by compiling and assessing institutional data and providing evaluation support. In support of the ADVANCE Program, you will focus on foundational areas relevant to the success of a diverse and excellent faculty and report to the Director of Research and Evaluation. The high-quality work of the team has wide ranging impact both within the university and amongst peer institutions. Find more information on our strategic positioning at https://advance.umich.edu/.
- You will conceptualize data investigations in response to specific research questions related to the recruitment, retention and promotion of faculty and bring that design through the full research process resulting in reports or publications
- Collect, analyze and report on quantitative and qualitative data including workforce data, climate assessments, equity studies, and program feedback
- Use the results for white papers, presentations and publishable papers
- Train interviewers, build and distribute surveys and conduct focus groups and individual interviews
- Collaborate with departments across campus to accomplish evaluation and program goals
- Use a project management mindset to develop project plans, manage your workload and ensure deadlines are met
- Represent our work by occasionally attending meetings across campus
- Provide coaching to our professional staff and student research assistants
- Perform data assurance tasks
- Ph.D. degree in a social science discipline
- 2+ years designing and completing social science research projects including qualitative and quantitative data collection, analysis and reporting
- 3+ years of experience applying project management skills
- Passion and commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and social justice
- Expert level proficiency with Excel (can perform complex functions) and other statistical software (SPSS, Stata, SAS, or R)
- Formal training in report writing and other written communications (published papers)
- Applied experience with database management or warehousing
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office products and Google Collaboration software
Note that this position is posted at a Senior level within the U-M structure.
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Generous time off
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.