This job opening is for 3 Unit-Based Temporary RN positions in the Child/Adolescent Inpatient Psychiatric unit.
* Please note that this position does not qualify for UMHS benefits and specific terms and conditions of employment are negotiated at the department level.
This position is not covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the University of Michigan and the Michigan Nurses Association and the U of M Professional Nurse Council.
* In addition:
Unit- based temporary employees who have worked 400 hours in a calendar year then become a Per Diem employee and have an obligation to pay dues or service fees as covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the University of Michigan and the Michigan Nurses Association and the U of M Professional Nurse Council.
* Once the employee meets the 400 hour threshold, they then are a union member for the duration of employment as Per Diem.
Temporary APRN employees and MVC temporary employees are not eligible for Per Diem status.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Provide expert nursing care to psychiatric patients on the Child/Adolescent Inpatient Psychiatric unit. Perform charge nurse responsibilities as assigned.
Nursing Specific Info
Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position. Posting may be filled after the initial 5-day posting period. Applicants who have left the UMPNC bargaining unit must include on their resume dates of past employment including months and years of service along with effort. Positions less than 20 hours/week may be combined. If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with nursing opportunities please contact Nurse Recruitment at (734) 936-5183.
Current Michigan RN license for all candidates that have passed the NCLEX.
**GN applicants will be considered for this position. The selected Graduate Nurse candidate will have 45 days from date of hire to successfully pass the NCLEX for Michigan RN licensure.
Must have strong desire to work with psych patients.
Demonstrated excellence in communication skills.
**Under Michigan Law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of employment or transfer for this position.
NOTE: Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position
Demonstrated knowledge of cognitive behavioral treatment of depression and other psychiatric disorders.
Hours: Based on unit needs
Shift: Based on unit needs
Location: 8E, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
PER DIEM/UNIT-BASED TEMPORARY NURSE GUIDELINES
1. Each Per Diem or unit-based temporary employee working three or more shifts per scheduling period will be scheduled to work a minimum of two weekend shifts per scheduling period (8 hours = 1 shift). The contractual definition of a weekend applies for Per Diem or unit-based temporary employees.*
Per Diem or unit-based temporary nurses who preschedule two or fewer shifts per scheduling period do not have to meet the weekend requirements.
They may add additional UNANTICIPATED SHIFTS ONLY.
2. Each Per Diem or unit-based temporary nurse will be expected to work a portion of scheduled shifts on off shifts (recommended guide: 25%).
3. Managers may establish additional guidelines based upon individual unit scheduling requirements. Therefore, it is recommended that managers and per diem nurses or unit-based temporary meet to discuss specific unit
4. Each Per Diem or unit-based temporary nurse will be scheduled to work the number of shifts during holiday weeks that reflects his/her normal scheduling pattern. Per Diem or unit-based temporary nurses should be scheduled to work shifts during three out of the six holiday weeks and one of these weeks should be Christmas or New Year's week. (A week is defined as Sunday through Saturday during which the holiday falls).
Per Diem or unit-based temporary nurses are to be scheduled after all regular staff are scheduled per contract language.
*Guidelines apply to all Per Diem or unit-based temporary nurses regardless of hire date.
This temporary position may meet eligibility requirements for health care benefits.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Under Michigan law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of transfer or employment for this position.
Michigan Medicine seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan and to maintain the excellence of the University. We welcome applications from anyone who would bring additional dimensions to the University’s research, teaching, and clinical mission, including women, members of minority groups, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. The Department of Nursing, like the University of Michigan as a whole, is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all persons and will not discriminate against any individual because of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.