How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Domino’s Farms MEND Clinic is looking for a Patient Services Intermediate to join our team and serve as the Clinic Coordinator for our new Post-COVID Clinic. This multidisciplinary clinic allows Michigan Medicine the opportunity to provide specialized, collaborative care to patients who have had COVID in the past and are still effected by complications. This individual will be the main point of contact for patients and will assist patients throughout their care in the Post-COVID program. This individual will also be the main contact for both patients and physicians in the program when it comes to their schedules or other related needs. While the primary responsibility of this role will be supporting the Post-COVID Clinic, other duties may be assigned for the DF MEND Clinic as time allows.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- Retirement Savings Opportunities
Responsibilities for the Post Covid Clinic:
Review new patient referrals
- Determine if referral is complete, including the presence of all specific required labs, imaging and other tests, as well as any outside records.
- Review referral data to determine if patient meets referral criteria to the clinic and its subspecialty components. Criteria include specific lab and testing results.
- Coordinate scheduling of intake appointments. Coordinating with other department schedulers across the health system if needed.
- Obtain new patient questionnaire prior to new patient appointments.
- Ensure that any required intake labs/testing is completed prior to new patient appointments.
- Confirm that any required prior authorizations for treatment or testing are in place.
- Obtain proper insurance address and documentation to insure correct charges.
- Obtain insurance approvals using established insurance.
- Enter CPT codes into scheduling system to permit business team’s identification of patient financial liability.
- Educate patient about the purpose, process and logistics of the clinic.
- Manage phone calls from internal and external customers. Act as the central communication point for patients in this clinic. This requires understanding when to direct messages to which physician or therapist.
- Manage daily work queues
- Monitors when labs and tests become available. Reminds patients to complete follow up actions and helps trouble shoot barriers. Ensures timely follow up of labs and tests. Relays lab and test results as well as physician messages to patients as appropriate.
- Provides prescription renewal requests and support per protocol.
- Coordinates with MIST if infusions are required.
- Maintain responsibility for MiChart grids.
- Coordinates Agenda for Multidisciplinary Care Conference
- Coordinates follow-up visits with subspecialties, therapists and testing.
- Ensures comprehensive assessments of each patient are sent to referring physician and PCP after the initial intake visits and at discharge from the clinic
- Ensures patient adherence to the clinic timeline and structure.
- May participate in PDCA or other QI initiatives related to this program.
- May serve as a representative of the Post-COVID team on various committees, workgroups as needed.
- Communicates with Research Coordinator to ensure seamless experience for patient
Responsibilities for the MEND Clinic (when applicable):
- Manage phone calls from internal and external customers reated to billing.
- Enter CPT codes into scheduling system to permit business team's identification of patient financial liability.
- Attend institutional revenue cycle and billing meetings/trainings as needed.
- Maintain responsibility for MiChart grids.
- Obtain proper insurance address and documentation to ensure correct charges.
- Manage daily work queues.
- Obtain insurance approvals using established insurance company guidelines.
- Accurately and efficiently schedule patient appointments utilizing Cadence.
- Serve as a resource for physicians, other staff, patients and outside third parties for insurance authorizations and other managed care related issues.
- Respond to patient inquiries related to special requirements of insurance plans, directing patient to insurance carrier as needed.
- Assist patients with payment questions on the phone or in person.
- Reconcile clinic cash collections and credit card transactions daily according to specified clinic standards.
- Assist patients with checking in and out of their appointments as needed.
- Communicate with patients over the phone regarding various patient needs.
High School Diploma or GED.
3 – 4 years of experience.
Knowledge of basic medical terminology.
Prior experience performing complex scheduling.
Familiarity with obtaining medical records.
Familiarity with professional medical billing.
Financial counseling experience for healthcare patients.
Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work well within a team setting.
Demonstrates active listening, written, verbal and information technology skills.
Experience working within a large, complex health care setting.
Familiarity with UMHS electronic medical record systems.
Knowledge of University policies and procedures.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.