How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Mcity runs several laboratories and C/AV (Connected / Automated Vehicle) research programs. As part of this we collect, store, classify, and assist with the analysis of a wide variety of data, working closely with our industry members and university researchers. You will have the unique opportunity to learn, build and scale components of our web application software architecture.
Some examples of interesting projects our Web Application Developers worked on in the past:
APIs for Traffic Signal and Robot control
ROS Modules for LIDAR point cloud alignment
Vehicle/Infrastructure Data Collection Hardware
Real Time Socket.JS V2X communication data feeds
Vue.JS web applications for account management, scheduling, and research tracking
Who We Are
Mcity is seeking an ambitious, talented, and self-motivated web applications developer who is interested in the opportunity to design and build frontend software systems used at Mcity. If interested in gaining experience building simple, visually pleasing, and intuitive web applications for non-technical audiences, consider joining us!
What is Mcity you ask? Let us show you! This is Mcity. youtu.be/usJTW6IjYQg
Mcity is a public-private partnership formed at U-M to transform global mobility by dramatically improving transportation safety, sustainability, and accessibility. Mcity draws on the broad expertise of U-M and its partners to address the host of legal, political, social, regulatory, economic, urban planning, and business issues that must be addressed to devise and implement practical systems that take advantage of emerging technologies. Mcity also provides testing at our one-of-a-kind proving ground, simulating the complexities of an urban environment, and through on-road vehicle deployments in Ann Arbor and Southeast Michigan, working with our partners including the U-M Transportation Research Institute.
As a member of the Mcity engineering team, your typical week will include:
- Development - Quiet time for coding, query, analysis, testing
- Design - Assisting with the design of new systems or improving existing software, in collaboration with other developers.
- Project Planning - Discussion of requirements with the team, and our daily team stand-up (we are a small, fun, personable team)
- Other - Assist with other activities supporting Mcity and their members.
- Work remotely and communicate virtually with the team. In the future, you’ll have the option to work from Mcity offices.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least 1 year of relevant experience building similar types of systems
- Strong written, verbal communication and organizational skills
- Experience with backend frameworks utilizing Python or similar programming languages
- This position requires the ability to work remotely while collaborating with the team virtually.
- Passionate about future mobility systems
- Experience with Python web servers like Sanic, Tornado, or Flask
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.