Under direct supervision from a Registered Nurse or other designated supervision, provides direct patient care or miscellaneous technical support by performing delegated procedures of a specialized and technical nature, which may include obtaining hemodynamic measurements, setting-up and maintaining specialized clinical equipment and performing delegated clinical or laboratory procedures, changing dressings, assisting with admitting and discharge procedures. Assist with more complex procedures and perform complex diagnostic testing. Develop and recommend changes in patient care activities to improve the quality of patient care services. Under FLSA, incumbents in this position are non-exempt.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- Retirement Savings Opportunities
- Obtains vital signs, temperature, height/length, weight, oxygen saturation and pain scores; reports abnormal values to RN.
- Observes, monitors and reports the overt physical condition of assigned patient(s).
- Measures and records intake and output.
- Functions as a patient attendant as needed.
- Assists physician/provider during diagnostic procedures; assists and supports patient before and during procedures; assists in specimen collection.
- Applies and changes ECG electrodes and pulse ox probe; attaches patient to travel (ECG and A-line) monitor.
- Performs point of care testing; maintains and calibrates equipment and supplies.
- Collects blood specimens from arterial lines.
- Initiates, maintains and records 24-hour urine collection.
- Transports blood and laboratory specimens.
- Discontinues peripheral IV’s under RN direction.
- Removes peripheral IV dressings under RN direction.
- Assists patients with, or administers routine personal hygiene including baths, oral care, skin care.
- Performs preventative skin care, pre-operative preps, perineal care.
- Provides toileting/bedpan/urinal; remove/empty foley catheters.
- Accompanies, escorts, ambulates, moves, turns, dangles, lifts, transports and attends/holds/positions patients.
- Assists with range of motion; applies rehabilitation equipment; releases and applies devices, i.e. wheelchair seatbelt, adaptive equipment, etc., in accordance with specific instructions, to position patients to limit movements.
- Provides patient nourishment by performing such duties as passing and collecting trays, providing snacks/beverages, assists with ordering meals/snacks; feeds patients.
- Perform tube feedings of patients, at the direction of the RN, and after the RN has established placement just prior to each tube feeding (e.g. Change tube feeding bag, prime line and set rate after notifying RN, refill tube feeding bag as indicated per infection control guidelines and after verifying correct tube feeding to be administered).
- Discontinues urinary catheters.
- Applies condom catheter.
- Determines bladder status with Bladder Scanner.
- Applies external Fecal Incontinence Device bags.
- Cleanses and redresses non-sterile wounds.
- Performs simple sterile dressing changes.
- Assists RN with complex dressing changes.
- Cares for permanent drainage sites and apply appropriate collection device, i.e., ostomy, G-tube,etc.
- Applies binders, ACE wraps, hot and cold applications; provides soaks and special baths.
- Assist with tracheostomy care on stable tracheotomies including such duties as cleaning and redressing area; assists with tape and tie changes.
- Performs endotracheal/tracheostomy tube suctioning after assessment by RN of patient stability.
- Provides ventilation to the intubated/trached patient with an Ambu bag.
- Assists with Endotracheal tube care and tape changes.
- Assists with P&PD by holding the patient.
- Coaches/prompts patient to use incentive spirometer, and in coughing and deep breathing.
- Performs routine nasal and/or oral suctioning.
- Measures and obtains TED hose; applies Sequential Compression Devices.
- Performs post-mortem care and transports deceased patients to the morgue/pathology.
- Responds to call lights and alarms; answer unit telephone and relay messages prn.
- Empties and measures drainage collection and emesis.
- Assists RN with admissions, discharges, and transfers.
- Provide skin care at the direction of the RN, applying select topical emollients containing medication (ie, cortisones, tar, silvidine, butt cream, and dermatology lotions).
- Initiates emergency care utilizing the “ABC’s”—Airway, Breathing, Circulation.
- Transports materials, supplies, medications, specimens, patient belongings, equipment and medical records.
- Performs patient care comfort-safety rounds per unit routine.
- Assists with application and maintains restraints.
- Documents care provided.
- Stocks supplies and equipment in patient care spaces.
- Sets up patient rooms for admission or procedure.
- Makes up beds with linen, changes bed linens and linen hamper during patient stay.
- Maintains orderliness of the patient room and unit, including equipment/cords, linen, trash, patient belongings, etc.
- Cleans and maintains inventory and outdates of equipment and supplies in patient care spaces.
- Clean assigned equipment and areas of work.
- Checks emergency equipment.
- Breaks down room after patient removal.
- Clean, wipe down, and remove equipment.
- Ensure all secretion containers are properly emptied and disposed of.
High school diploma, GED or equivalent, ability to read and write, and one of the following:
- Junior status in an accredited BSN program
- 2nd year in accredited ADN program
- Bachelor’s Degree in Applied Medical Science
- a minimum 1-year recent experience in an unlicensed assistive role in a patient care setting, such as nurse aide in a hospital setting
- a minimum two years’ experience in in an unlicensed assistive role in a patient care setting in a nursing home or other health care environment
Must be able to perform a wide range of physical activities which include moving, transporting and positioning patients and equipment as well as constantly positioning self to provide patient care and related duties.
Completion of a Certified Nurse Aide or Certified Medical Assistant program; basic computer skills; course work in an Allied Health field.
Hours/Week: 36 hours/week. 12 and 8 hour night shifts.
Work rotating weekends (2 out of 4), working 3 out of 6 holidays.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.