This job opening is for a Temporary Float RN position within the Central Staffing Resource Department (CSR). The specific cluster is for the Psychiatric Emergency Services Department. This is a multi-unit RN position, which could involve staffing assignments on Psychiatric Emergency Services and 9C Inpatient Adult Psychiatry. The RN can be scheduled on both units, based on the unit's staffing needs and will be expected to staff on either unit, as needed.
Wage: $55.00/hr. base rate
Evening Shift Differential is $5.00 per hour
Night Shift Differential is $ 3.00 per hour
Weekend Differential is $5.00 per hour
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Provide clinical leadership in the nursing care of individuals, families and groups in the Psychiatric Emergency Service area.
Collaborate with team members and associated resource person to provide continuity in patient care.
The University of Michigan Health is a Magnet recognized hospital. We have recently been named #1 hospital in Michigan and #5 hospital in the nation by US News and World Report for 2020-21!
Nursing Specific Info
Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
* Please note that these positions do not qualify for UMHS benefits and specific terms and conditions of employment are negotiated at the department level. These positions are not covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the Michigan Nurses Association and the U-M Professional Nurse Council union.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with nursing opportunities please contact Nurse Recruitment at (734) 936-5183.
- Must have a current Michigan Registered Nurse License.
- Two (2) or more years of Emergency Department or Psychiatric RN experience
- Current AHA BLS Certification. Candidate will need to able to provide proof of certification upon offer.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
In order to be considered for this position the applicant must have met or will have met all the required qualifications prior to the start date of employment.
- Excellent Interpersonal skills, along with positive verbal and written communication skills
- BSN preferred
- Three (3) of more years experience in an Emergency setting, Adult or Child
- Three (3) of more years experience working in Psychiatric setting, Adult or Child
- Flexibility in scheduling
- EMR (Epic) experience
- Medical/Surgical experience preferred
- Experience in the utilization of Crisis Intervention Prevention (CPI).
- Demonstrated knowledge of cognitive behavioral treatment of depression and other psychiatric disorders.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with an interdisciplinary health care team.
- Demonstrated positive attitude
- Demonstrated accountability and dependability.
- Demonstrates expertise in communication and problem solving skills within all levels of the health care team
- Ability to work in a team atmosphere utilizing effective delegation skills.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills.
- Demonstrates accountability/dependability as evidenced by completion of mandatories and unit based competencies within an established time frame.
- Experience floating to multiple units
- Knowledge of the University of Michigan Hospital nursing policies and practice.
- Demonstrates participation in continuous quality improvement process with documented results.
- Experience with family centered care philosophy
- Takes initiative in seeking professional growth.
- Demonstrated ability to handle stress, conflict and resolution.
**Commitment is 32 hours per 4 week scheduling block**
ALL SHIFTS AVAILABLE; 8 AND 12 HR BLOCKS AVAILABLE!
Location: University Hospital: Central Staffing Resources Specialty Cluster, Psychiatric Emergency Services
**This is a multi-unit RN position, which could involve staffing assignments on Psychiatric Emergency Services and 9C Inpatient Adult Psychiatry. The RN can be scheduled on both units, based on the unit's staffing needs and will be expected to staff on either unit, as needed.
- Expected to float to like units where competent and qualified in times of decreased activity
- Inability to work for three (3) months consecutively will lead to automatic termination from employment at Michigan Medicine.
- No guarantee of work at any time, and shifts can, and sometimes will be cancelled.
- No weekend requirement, but may be scheduled for weekends
- Variable shifts
TEMPORARY FLOAT NURSE GUIDELINES
1). All CSR employees are required to attend an annual educational Blitz to complete required
UM mandatories and compentencies (BCLS every 2 yrs, Cardiac Arrest and maintain all
other applicable certifications).
2). Temporary Float Nurses are expected to work all shifts requested unless no work is
available. It is the intention that all Temps will float to all units within the cluster speciality.
3). A Temporary Nurse should work 24 hours per 4 week schedule block. You may request four
(4), eight (8), or twelve (12) hours shifts in advance.
4.) Temporary Nurses in the CSR Clusters are NOT required to work weekends or holidays.
5). Temporary Nurses will participate in a newly designed, streamlined, onboarding/orientation
program. However, the progression of orientation will be dependent upon clinical
competency, staffing needs of the individual units, and the number of hours worked by the
This temporary position may meet eligibility requirements for health care benefits.
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Under Michigan law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of transfer or employment for this position.
Michigan Medicine seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan and to maintain the excellence of the University. We welcome applications from anyone who would bring additional dimensions to the University’s research, teaching, and clinical mission, including women, members of minority groups, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. The Department of Nursing, like the University of Michigan as a whole, is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all persons and will not discriminate against any individual because of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.