The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology seeks a candidate to assist in lab research projects. The ideal candidate must have previous lab and analyst research experience. This candidate will work closely with the laboratory and project PI, as well as other research staff with the primary focus of studying the effects of testosterone administration on reproductive function in a transgender mouse model. The position will entail working with animals, including administration of chemicals to animals, daily monitoring, blood collection, and cell culture.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Collaborative participation in all aspects of steroid administration to animal model system including injections, surgeries, daily monitoring, blood and vaginal cytology collection, euthanasia, and postmortem processing of tissues.
- Rigorous documentation of all the experiments
- Process research samples including tissues and blood.
- Perform histological characterization / analysis of samples, including immuno histochemistry and H&E staining.
- Establish and update standard operating protocols (SOP) for the processing of samples
- With study team, develop, design, and conduct research according to plans & protocols
- Ordering and maintaining materials, supplies, and animals necessary for project
- Formulate research methods and suggest options for improvement
- Attend weekly laboratory meetings with at least 50% attendance
- Attend monthly meetings specific to the transgender project
- Monthly summary report to PI of specimens processed, analyzed, and stored
- Bachelor’s degree in a science related field
- At least 1 year of experience working in a research lab setting
- At least 3 years of research experience (basic, translational, or clinical)
- At least 1 year of experience as a research analyst
- Previous experience processing tissue and blood
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively with a unit
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Experience working with laboratory rodent animals
- Experience or course study in reproductive health issues
- Experience or course study in gender studies
This is a term limited position based on grant funding. The initial appointment is expected to be two years in duration.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.