How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Research Lab Specialist Associate participates in design and execution of research lab projects. Conducts experimental tests and procedures and processes and analyzes data. Reviews and revises existing research methodologies and may develop new methodologies. May ensure overall lab compliance with all associated rules and regulations.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- Retirement Savings Opportunities
The primary focus of the lab is to study the mechanisms of organ fibrosis and to identify novel targeted treatment strategies. Candidates are expected to be fluent in fundamental molecular and cell biological techniques and capable of functioning in a fast-paced environment. Additionally, strong organizational skills and operational excellence are an absolute must.
• Following overall research objectives, independently designs, plans, conducts and troubleshoots experiments.
• Evaluates protocols and data obtained from groups of experiments and recommends changes to processes, procedures and techniques to improve quality and validity of results based upon overall project objectives.
• DNA, RNA, Protein isolation, purification and expression
• Western blottin
• PCR, RT-PCR
• Plasmid preparation
• Recombinant virus production and purification
• Cell culture, cell isolation
• Microscopy Fluorescence microscopy (confocal) and bright field microscopy
• Flow cytometry
• Prior in-depth training in handling animals and rodent animal models (e.g., handling transgenic) is desired
• Blood collection
• Surgical procedures
• Negotiates purchases with vendors.
• Verifies accuracy of invoices.
• Orders and/or maintains inventory of reagent, mice and/or lab supplies.
• Trains and directs other lab members and/or students in research techniques and procedures.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree is required. 1-3 years of experience in a related field. 3 or more years of animal experience and lab/bench or other relevant experience required.
Master’s Degree preferred
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.