How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
What You'll Do
During the course of work, day to day activities will include the following:
- Install, configure, customize, troubleshoot, integrate, and maintain systems, software, and other devices.
- Tracking computer systems and device inventory in order to record accurate data for asset management.
- Monitor systems for availability, error conditions, and performance.
- Demonstrate quality service and accountability in the process of resolving incidents meeting customer needs and exceeding expectations.
- Establish relationships using effective communication skills in the process of collaborating with customers and team members.
Who We Are
“At LSA, we wonder. We wonder why we are here. We ask how the universe works, and how we organize societies. We all wonder—but the great professors and students use curiosity as a catalyst to find answers to the biggest questions. Wonder begins with a simple “why” and leads to discovery that advances science and society while shaping our world for the better.” - https://lsa.umich.edu/research
Here at the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts (LSA), we have an exciting opportunity for 2 Desktop Support Specialist Associates within LSA Technology Services' desktop support environment. Our selected candidates provide tier 2 and 3 desktop, classroom, and research support in a highly varied and technical environment.
You will demonstrate the ability to provide excellent customer service, collaborate with team members and customers and contribute to efforts to continuously improve service. In addition, your experience is needed in supporting servers and providing hardware support, knowledge in OS and network configuration. You will exhibit proficiency with troubleshooting by utilizing analytical, creative problem-solving skills and developing unique solutions to support research needs. Solutions for future use includes scripting for automation and a desire to develop Linux knowledge and troubleshooting skills.
Why Work at Michigan?
Being part of something greater, of serving a larger mission of discovery and care — that's the heart of what drives people to work at Michigan. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. It's adding a purpose to your profession. Work at Michigan and become a victor for the greater good.
What Perks and Benefits Can You Look Forward to?
- 2:1 match on retirement savings
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage starting on day one of employment
- Generous vacation/short term sick pay and paid holidays
- Continuing education opportunities
- Excellent on the job training
- Associates degree in related field and/or equivalent combination of education, certification, and experience.
- Minimum of one-year help desk and/or technical support experience, including providing outstanding customer service and accurately documenting detailed information.
- Minimum of one-year of related experience in desktop support and troubleshooting.
- Proficient with word processing, spreadsheets, Google Apps, and other collaboration platforms.
- Solid oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain positive relationships, inside and outside of workgroup, interacting in a friendly, open, honest, and accepting manner.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and/or equivalent combination of education, certification, and experience.
- Experience in system design, documentation, implementation, and administration of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
- Thorough understanding of server hardware and concepts including services, security, and administration.
- Demonstrated ability to support specialized research computing needs.
- Experience working in higher education in a support capacity.
- Experience with programming and statistical applications such as Python and R.
The target salary range for the position is $39,500 to $48,500. The actual salary and offer may be higher based on the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
The College of Literature, Science, and the Arts seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitments to serve the diverse people of Michigan, and sustain the excellence of LSA.
To learn more about diversity, equity, and inclusion visit http://lsa.umich.edu/lsa/about/diversity--equity-and-inclusion.html
The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future. The University of Michigan is committed to foster learning, creativity and productivity, and to support the vigorous exchange of ideas and information, not only in the classroom but in the workplace by:
- Creating a work environment in which people treat each other with respect and dignity, regardless of roles, responsibilities or differences.
- Providing support, direction and resources enabling us to accomplish the responsibilities of our jobs and to reach the goals that are set for professional and personal growth.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.