How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Information and Technology Services (ITS) is looking for a Service Center Consultant Associate to join the Service Center within Support Services.This position reports to a manager or supervisor in the ITS Service Center.
The role will serve as an initial point of IT assistance for faculty, staff, students and other members of the university community; practice Knowledge-Centered Service: using, updating and creating articles in the course of resolving incidents and fulfilling requests. The consultant also follows up with other service/support groups to ensure that open issues are making progress and communication with customers is timely and effective.
Who We Are
ITS supports U-M faculty, researchers, staff, and students in their use of technology to teach, learn, research, and work, and be leaders in their fields. We are dedicated to creating cohesive digital experiences and enabling university wide innovations by:
- Elevating the customer experience by providing proactive, laser focused customer service
- Providing appropriate IT security and privacy in an open university society, while enabling innovation
- Supporting data-informed decision making
- Delivering intuitive research computing solutions
- Building a world-class, transformational network and reliable administrative systems
- In addition, we value those that proactively solve challenges, work with a sense of urgency, and seek a collaborative and inclusive work environment.
ITS’s mission is to be trusted enablers of technology for the U-M community. ITS works together to provide cohesive digital experiences and seamless support to the U-M community. To learn more, visit: https://its.umich.edu.
Who You Are
You are energized by working with a collaborative team and industry peers to support the university mission through innovative and appropriate use of technology. You seek understanding and to tackle projects and problems with your customers’ needs in mind. You anticipate problems and work proactively to preempt challenges and concerns, delivering increasingly relevant customer experiences over time. You value a culture that is rooted in mutual respect, where you can learn from different perspectives, roles, and identities.
You have at least one year of experience in IT, customer service or other relevant settings and excellent customer service skills.
Work in a team environment as a member of the Information and Technology Services (ITS) Service Center, a customer-facing (Tier 1) technology service and support group with a wide-ranging scope including:
- Compute and network infrastructure; desktop and mobile-device support; collaboration services
- Enterprise applications support: human resources; financials; student and alumni records; research administration
- Identities; authentication; and access management
- Applications and services supporting the Teaching and Learning missions at the university
Provide high quality customer service and technical support via multiple channels: phone, email, chat, in-person, and IT management / workflow systems. Document requests and reported issues (incidents). Fulfill routine service requests and provides needed information such as setting system permissions and providing how-to guidance. Verify and troubleshoot issues; use training and available documentation to provide solutions. Actively collaborate with team members and other service/support groups to resolve more complex issues. Update and improve existing support documentation.
Educate customers on available IT services; recommend appropriate hardware, software, settings and learning resources. Advise customers on IT security policies and procedures. Support the development, design, implementation and improvement of services.
Development of Self and Others
Our team members are always improving and developing in areas such as:
- Advanced customer service techniques
- The latest changes in tools and technologies
- New skills that increase effectiveness for the individual, team or organization
Development activities may include: on-the-job training, attending technical courses or conferences, reading, research and testing. Actively seeks relevant professional development opportunities and sets a plan in conjunction with supervisor. Participates fully and practices newly acquired skills and techniques to build long-term capacity.
- High School diploma or equivalent combination of education, certification, and experience
- Minimum of one year experience in IT, customer service, or other relevant settings
- Demonstrated knowledge of operating systems (Windows, MacOS) and industry standard web browsers
- Demonstrated proficiency with current computer technology and applications (e.g. tools for documents, spreadsheets, presentations, and collaboration)
- Demonstrated ability to leverage a variety of information sources and technical tools to perform day-to-day tasks
- Demonstrated effective creative problem solving with excellent troubleshooting, organizational, and analytical skills
- Demonstrated effective oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with customers and colleagues
- Demonstrated effective creative problem solving and flexibility when collaborating with customers, team members, support teams, external vendors, and technical organizations to understand, advocate for, evaluate, and support enhancements, resulting in plans and services that leverage the capabilities of existing technology and meet customer and organizational expectations.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills including strong interpersonal skills with an ability to work effectively through all levels of management and matrix organizations
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with internal and external customers in a manner that consistently meets the organization’s expectations for exemplary customer service.
- Excellent organizational, analytical and independent problem-solving skills
- Ability to influence others in the building and maintaining consensual approach with a wide array of diverse business interests
- Bachelor’s degree
- Two years of experience on a technical support team
- Experience with mobile support including configuration and troubleshooting (iPhone, iPad, Android)
Physical Demands/Work Environment
Normal amount of sitting, average mobility to move around an office environment; able to conduct normal amount of work at a computer; travel to various locations on and off campus. May require working scheduled shifts outside of typical business hours and on weekends, as well as availability for on-call duty. Punctual, regular, and consistent attendance is required.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.