How to Apply
A cover letter and resume detailing relevant work experience is required for consideration. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. All applications must be submitted through the U-M job site: http://umjobs.org
The Department of Microbiology & Immunology is seeking a highly competent, motivated, and organized individual to serve as a full-time Finance Specialist Senior to lead its financial team. Reporting directly to the Chief Department Administrator, candidates for this position are expected to exhibit strong organizational skills and demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively within a complex organization. This position calls for open collaboration with a wide range of professionals within M&I, all basic science departments, and across campus. Must possess the ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines. Positive attitude and customer service orientation is a must.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- Retirement Savings Opportunities
Specific responsibilities to include, but not limited to:
- Management and reconciliation of all department accounts
- Direct supervision of research administrators and administrative assistant including evaluating the performance for annual reviews, resolving operating problems, addressing and resolving personnel actions
- Oversight of pre- and post-award administration
- Oversight of all procurement processes
- Assist in the development and preparation of annual department budget
- Serve as the department effort specialist
- Lead the preparation and presentation of financial and research related reports to department leadership
- Bachelor's degree in a financially related field and 5 to 7 years of experience.
- 5+ years of progressively responsible administrative responsibilities focused on finance.
- 3+ years supervising and managing professional staff.
- Knowledge of anti-racism and inclusive organization principles.
- Intermediate to expert level proficiency in budgeting, financial reporting and administration of grants and contracts.
- Familiarity and experience with University administrative and business tools such as Business Objects, MReports and other MPathways systems, and Concur; knowledge of UM organizational structure.
- Demonstrated ability to manage time effectively with a high degree of accuracy while working in an environment of fluctuating priorities and interruptions
- Extremely detail oriented with the ability to recognize and investigate data anomalies.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and the ability to build successful relationships with faculty and staff at all levels.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.